white barbecue sauce

Anything added to the meat to make it mo better.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

cowboy45
Pilgrim

white barbecue sauce

Postby cowboy45 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:58 am

Anyone ever try Alabama white barbecue sauce? I have the recipe and was wanting to try it on some chx. I was wondering how it came out? :D
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Re: white barbecue sauce

Postby BluDawg » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:57 pm

I tried it and didn't care for it but I haven't gone through 1 bottle of any BBQ sauce in 20 yrs either BBQ done right don't need any stinking sauce.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
cowboy45
Pilgrim

Postby cowboy45 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:47 pm

I very seldom use sauce. On chx I like it every once in a while. I usually KC Masterpiece or Sweet Baby Rays. Of course I have to alter them before using. LOL! Sweet sauce with cayenne or Tobasco, just have to keep from burning. Might try a small batch of the white sauce and see. The way the wind is gusting I don't know whether it will happen today or not. My charcoal grill is an open top cowboy cooker style and the wind is coming right at it.
stan41 USER_AVATAR
Stan41
Bandolero

Postby Stan41 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:30 pm

Years ago I was attending a BBQ event. A Mexican man was doing the cooking, basting shoulder clods once in a while. I asked him what was in his basting sauce and he gave me an oral recipe. It has been my favorite ever since:

Barbecue basting sauce at Edward Birch barbecue:

A leetle water
A leetle vinegar
A leetle butter
A leetle onion
A leetle garlic
A leetle Comino seed.

Keep hot and baste while cooking barbecue.
Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
bauer8it USER_AVATAR
Bauer8It
Wrangler

Postby Bauer8It » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:29 pm

I love it on chicken. Very tasty.
Mini WSM and 22.5 WSM
TXCajun
Wrangler

Postby TXCajun » Thu May 26, 2011 9:34 am

I ran across a "white" sauce some years ago in our local HEB. It was called "Everything Sauce", the name/label has changed, but I think it was the Glenn's Gourmet Goodies white sauce ( http://www.gggfoods.com/ ). Our HEB doesn't carry it any more, but I have come up with a mix that is darned near close to the chipotle flavor (which was our favorite) and VERY simple to make:

1 quart jar of Mayo or Miracle Whip
1 bottle of Tabasco Chipotle hot sauce.

Dump the entire contents of both in a steel bowl, mix well until the color is uniform, and spoon back into the Mayo jar.

I have experimented with putting a wee bit of chili powder, cumin, and dried cilantro in it, but I generally just make it with the mayo and hot sauce only. One thing that is great about this sauce, is that it is low carb if you are watching your sugar intake.

This makes an unbelievable substitute for generic Mayo or Miracle Whip when making a sandwich. I've tried it on burgers, chicken sandwiches, pulled pork, and brisket sandwiches and they were all great. Once you try it on different things, it's easy to see why the original is called "Everything" sauce. I am sitting here drooling just thinking about it.

Having said that, I have never used it during the cooking process (only for sandwiches and as a side sauce), but I would dearly like to try it on fish or chicken...

Oh, almost forgot - I tried the same thing using the "new" olive oil Miracle Whip....blegh... didn't care for it at all.

Stew

Return to “Rubs, Spices, Sauces, Mops and Marinades”