Storage of Spices

Anything added to the meat to make it mo better.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

lkt1954
Pilgrim

Storage of Spices

Postby lkt1954 » Fri May 28, 2021 10:55 pm

I have a separate building from our house (think of a detached garage) that I do all my cooking/smoking in. While it is built and insulated like a house would be it has no HVAC in it, thus it get hot during the summer (Texas heat) and cold in the winter.
Knowing heat is not good for spices, I have been storing my spices in the freezer to keep the heat from destroying them. Not too sure this is good on them either, which leads me to my question here.

I'm thinking a getting a really good insulated cooler (yeti, rtic, ect) to use as storage for my spices. With getting a cooler like this I would think it should protect spices from the heat, cold, light and humidity.

My question do you thing this would work or is the inside eventually going to get either hot or cold depending on the season.

Thanks
Larry
GTR
Bandolero

Re: Storage of Spices

Postby GTR » Sat May 29, 2021 11:00 am

Not a thermo expert by any means but I would think over time the interior of the cooler would stabilize with the outside/inside ambient temperatures.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat May 29, 2021 11:12 am

^^^^^^^^^^^^
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Sat May 29, 2021 12:40 pm

Store them inside good seal-able plastic tote boxes in your house. Take them to the cook shack as needed. Fill the coolers with beer.

And welcome aboard.
phillymike
Cowboy

Postby phillymike » Sat May 29, 2021 5:06 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rorschach
Wrangler

Postby Rorschach » Sat May 29, 2021 9:15 pm

I'm a thermo expert - to keep the interior temperature different from the ambient temperature is not possible without some (essentially) continuous energy input, same as a refrigerator or freezer, or oven in the other direction for simplification. Insulation only slows the rate of equilibration for the cooler interior.
lkt1954
Pilgrim

Postby lkt1954 » Sun May 30, 2021 8:22 am

That's what I was thinking that over time temperatures would be the same.

Guess i have two choices: either store in the freezer or put them in a tote to keep in the house, the carry back and forth.

Thanks for the input.

Return to “Rubs, Spices, Sauces, Mops and Marinades”