Butcher paper vs foil advice

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

zzoldtown
Pilgrim

Butcher paper vs foil advice

Postby zzoldtown » Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:06 am

For my understanding they both serve the same purpose for helping keep brisket and pork from drying out but is the major difference that butcher paper allows smoke to still penetrate and also keeps the bark more crispier
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Butcher paper vs foil advice

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:02 am

Butcher paper will protect the bark and helps to keep a lot of the moisture inside the meat.
Welcome to the Forum :tup: :salut: :texas:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:57 am

OldUsedParts wrote:Butcher paper will protect the bark and helps to keep a lot of the moisture inside the meat.
Welcome to the Forum :tup: :salut: :texas:

Welcome to TBBQF
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:45 pm

Welcome to the forum! :salut:
Too much rub and butcher paper is not a good thing in my opinion. I have had my bark peel like a road rash scab. I like butcher paper for S&P briskets and ribs. If I am using heavier rubs with sugar I prefer my foil pan and cover method.
Once your meat reaches 140° internally it will pretty much stop taking in smoke so finish how you see fit.
As far as bark goes you can achieve a nice crisp bark right out of the paper. If in a pan you need to remove the meat or at least uncover it to tighten the bark.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:32 pm

k.a.m. wrote:Welcome to the forum! :salut:
Too much rub and butcher paper is not a good thing in my opinion. I have had my bark peel like a road rash scab. I like butcher paper for S&P briskets and ribs. If I am using heavier rubs with sugar I prefer my foil pan and cover method.
Once your meat reaches 140° internally it will pretty much stop taking in smoke so finish how you see fit.
As far as bark goes you can achieve a nice crisp bark right out of the paper. If in a pan you need to remove the meat or at least uncover it to tighten the bark.

I take the foil off the top of my KAM Pan for 30 minutes at 200 degrees; tightens right up
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:33 pm

Have I mentioned I love the KAM Pan? :laughing7: ;) 8) :lol: :D
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:15 pm

I usually am too lazy to wrap at all, but lately (except yesterday) I put briskets in a foil boat (loose foil around the bottom half only leaving half exposed) .
It would work for pork butts as well.

You can ggle Chud’s foil boat for a video, or brisket foil boat.

I also have become a fan (except for yesterday) of a LONG rest, 12-16 hours. Right in that same foil boat, just make sure not to let it run out of the liquids.
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:33 am

I have used multiple methods.... paper, foil, upside down, hot & fast if I have dreamed it up or read about it I have tried it. I must confess I do not compete, but am constantly looking for that perfect bbq meal, until I find the next perfect bbq meal, (my behavior makes my wife just crazy...) :dont:
the "kam" method is one I highly recommend to anyone who has not tried it...and slight variations to those who may have tried it for subtle improvements. :roll: :laughing7:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:35 am

spacetrucker wrote:I have used multiple methods.... am constantly looking for that perfect bbq meal, until I find the next perfect bbq meal, (my behavior makes my wife just crazy...) :dont:

Same here, Friend :tup:
Me: "Next time I do those 3-2-1 Ribs, I think I'll use a different Suckle Busters Rub"
Wife: "Tweek Tweek Tweek - - - will you please stop that? - - - THOSE Ribs you cooked today were perfect so QUIT Changing things" :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :whiteflag: :banghead: :angryfire:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:38 am

spacetrucker wrote:I have used multiple methods.... paper, foil, upside down, hot & fast if I have dreamed it up or read about it I have tried it. I must confess I do not compete, but am constantly looking for that perfect bbq meal, until I find the next perfect bbq meal, (my behavior makes my wife just crazy...) :dont:
the "kam" method is one I highly recommend to anyone who has not tried it...and slight variations to those who may have tried it for subtle improvements. :roll: :laughing7:

Like you ST, I’m a Family cook. I’m not bothered at all using the oven and the Pan after the meat has been on the smoker for the first 5 or 6 hours. If we’re serving a big lunch I’ll put the meat on the smoker about 3 the afternoon before and transfer it into the pan before bedtime. In the oven at 170 degrees until coffee then kick the oven up to 275 until it probes tender. Lunch is ready by 12 and I got some sleep
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:17 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:
spacetrucker wrote:I have used multiple methods.... am constantly looking for that perfect bbq meal, until I find the next perfect bbq meal, (my behavior makes my wife just crazy...) :dont:

Same here, Friend :tup:
Me: "Next time I do those 3-2-1 Ribs, I think I'll use a different Suckle Busters Rub"
Wife: "Tweek Tweek Tweek - - - will you please stop that? - - - THOSE Ribs you cooked today were perfect so QUIT Changing things" :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :whiteflag: :banghead: :angryfire:

3-2-1 is used by several folks, the one I used to follow was Johnny Trigg; I learned a lot from his methods but the latest ribs were cooked in "open pit" only with hog wallerin and were perfection the only problem was the ribbs were very old almost rancid :angryfire: :angryfire: we have to clean those freezers(2) out.

Rambo.. its been so long since I cooked a brisket I probably have forgot how? but the oven for a brisket finish is one of the easiest to do.. :thap:
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:21 pm

I really like the 3-2-1 process mainly because I like my Ribs "fallin off of the bone" (some don't) - - - sure makes the leftover pulled pork sammies not need any pullin :laughing7: matter of fact I've got a Rack in the Freezer that I'll be defrosting in a few days :tup:
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:27 pm

the wife likes ribs "fall off the bone tender" which by judge standards are overcooked, but they sure do eat good!!
I am sure they would make great sammiches but a rack of ribs makes a perfect two meals for us :D
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:29 pm

"MY Judge" likes'em fallin and tender -- - so do I :tup:
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:53 pm

I have tried the many methods of doin' the Q but it seems that I fall back to my combinations of naked and foil and pan.
I guess what I have learned over the years is who'r ya tryin' to please?

I would encourage everybody to go to comps and volunteer to judge that way you will get to see the whole array of style results. Of course from the judge's chair you won't have any idea which style produced the results.
I'll mention here that comp BBQers are NOT big BBQ eaters.

Anytime my wife hears someone talking up a joint as "best ever" she wants to go there and always gets ribs invariably after the first rib she says " Yours are better" and I reply "trained me well". My ribs are not likely to do well in a comp.

My opinion butcher paper is best used with S&P type rub.
tarde venientibus ossa....

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”