Reheating Leftovers

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

texmike USER_AVATAR
TexMike
Cowboy

Reheating Leftovers

Postby TexMike » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:59 pm

I always tend to smoke more meat than the occasion calls for. I would like to hear from some of y'all on your favorite ways to reheat barbecued meats.
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Re: Reheating Leftovers

Postby bsooner75 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:08 pm

We always split our leftovers in vac seal bags in meal size portions. To reheat I use my sous vide but a simmering pot of water works just as well. Brisket and pulled pork taste just like they came off the pit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
strength_and_pow
Cowboy

Postby strength_and_pow » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:33 pm

bsooner75 wrote:We always split our leftovers in vac seal bags in meal size portions. To reheat I use my sous vide but a simmering pot of water works just as well. Brisket and pulled pork taste just like they came off the pit.

Exactly what he said, works great.

texmike USER_AVATAR
TexMike
Cowboy

Postby TexMike » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:25 pm

Thanks for the replies.I was hoping for something that didn't require buying more kitchen equipment. I guess I could put the meat in freezer bags and put that in boiling water. :?:
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:32 pm

TexMike wrote:Thanks for the replies.I was hoping for something that didn't require buying more kitchen equipment. I guess I could put the meat in freezer bags and put that in boiling water. :?:

Yup same concept but go with simmering water so it doesn’t bust and move it around so it doesn’t stick to the bottom.

strength_and_pow
Cowboy

Postby strength_and_pow » Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:48 am

TexMike wrote:Thanks for the replies.I was hoping for something that didn't require buying more kitchen equipment. I guess I could put the meat in freezer bags and put that in boiling water. :?:

I got to say, I regret not getting a vacuum sealer long before I ever got serious about cooking. Being able to break down bulk/family packs of meat into manageable sizes and freeze is great and roughly doubling the amount of time a food item can stay in the fridge has saved me far beyond the cost of the machine.
On the reheat side, the Sous Vide setup allows you to take the leftovers from that perfectly cooked steak and bring it back to the exact temp you cooked it to make leftovers that much more enjoyable.

txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:29 am

I've done all manner of reheat methods and while most work to a certain degree the absolute best way for me is to use a steamer set-up. I'll take brisket or ribs and pre-slice. Place in a foil pouch (seal well) and place in the steamer. After about 20-30 minutes things are ready to go. Piping hot, still moist, and ready to eat. My steamer is a simple 8-quart stock pot with a collapsible basket I picked up from Bed Bath & Beyond. Cheap and easy. I suspect you could use a rice steamer or some fancy Insta-Pot but I sure wouldn't go buy one.
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
texmike USER_AVATAR
TexMike
Cowboy

Postby TexMike » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:22 pm

txsmkmstr wrote:I've done all manner of reheat methods and while most work to a certain degree the absolute best way for me is to use a steamer set-up. I'll take brisket or ribs and pre-slice. Place in a foil pouch (seal well) and place in the steamer. After about 20-30 minutes things are ready to go. Piping hot, still moist, and ready to eat. My steamer is a simple 8-quart stock pot with a collapsible basket I picked up from Bed Bath & Beyond. Cheap and easy. I suspect you could use a rice steamer or some fancy Insta-Pot but I sure wouldn't go buy one.

Thanks for the idea. I didn't think of steaming but, I've got everything I need already in the kitchen. :salut:
sinfony78
Rustler

Postby sinfony78 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:41 pm

i just wrap in foil and heat in oven at lowest temp
glenn_s USER_AVATAR
Glenn_S
Pilgrim

Postby Glenn_S » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:41 pm

For brisket, I keep it unsliced and vacuum seal. Come time to reheat, I unwrap it and place in a foil pan sealed with tin foil. To that I add some additional moisture that I reserved from the original cook. Slow heating it keeps it moist and then I slice for serving. Pulled pork, I pre-pull, vacuum seal and similar reheat.

You can get a basic vacuum sealer pretty cheap right now. My basic Seal-a-meal certainly does everything I ask of it and keeps things much better in the freezer. I think I only paid about $50 on amazon...
“When poverty declines, the need for government declines, which is why expecting government to solve poverty is like expecting a tobacco company to mount an aggressive anti-smoking campaign.”
― Stefan Molyneux
Smokin' Greenie
Pilgrim

Postby Smokin' Greenie » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:55 pm

For brisket, tri-tip, and ribs, I put them in a small pan in our toaster oven at 250 F, loosely covered in aluminum foil. If you take them out of the fridge and let them approach room temperature before reheating, that reduces the chance for them to dry out, steam, or cook further. Depending on the size of the pieces, it only takes about 20 minutes to get them hot. I do check them occasionally so they aren't in the oven longer than they need to be.

To provide some moisture, I put a small amount of apple juice in the pan with the meat. I don't like apple juice as a drink, so to avoid waste, I keep a can of the frozen concentrate in the freezer. When I need some (I also use it as my "spritz" on meats while cooking in the smoker), I take out a few spoonful's, dilute it 3:1 as instructed, and then have what I need for reheating or spritzing. I've been consistently happy with the results.

SG
Gator Pit Tailgator
emradguy USER_AVATAR
emradguy
Wrangler

Postby emradguy » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:23 pm

Key points here are: 1) keep the moisture sealed in, so it doesn’t dry out, 2) use a low even heat so it doesn’t scorch anywhere inside the “pouch”. As long as you adhere to these points, your heating method doesn’t matter much.
Fanmen
Pilgrim

Postby Fanmen » Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:07 pm

Hello. I grill meat every weekend. This time there was a turkey. To continue the celebration of food, I save the ostkos in vacuum bags and heat them the next day in the microwave, but before that I put them in a special microwave dish, this is very important, learn more here https://beezzly.com/can-you-microwave-glass-jars . I want to draw your attention to the fact that reheated food is no worse.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”