points and flats

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

tws
Pilgrim

points and flats

Postby tws » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:04 pm

greetings,

is it possible for me to smoke a packers brisket in my gas smoker... this is an older well seasoned metal smoker of the upright variety - racks measure 12"X13".i've always wanted to smoke a brisket texas style but will a packers cut fit? if not, is it wise to cut it in half?  my local store sells points and flats... the flats seem a lot leaner... the point however seems fatter... is it worth it  to smoke just the point or several of them at once to cryovac and freeze the extra? is this a common practice?
thanks for your valuable feedback.
GTR
Bandolero

Re: points and flats

Postby GTR » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:57 pm

Sure others will chime in but here’s my take.
12x13 is a little small for a full packer.
We don’t see a lot of cut briskets around here but the practice is common in some areas.
If you’ve never done a brisket I would suggest the point. It’s a little more forgiving than a flat.
Last advice is “KISS” or
Keep
It
Simple
Stupid
no offense intended, very common acronym.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:57 am

I cook points all the time, my preferred part of the brisket.
More tender, more internal fat content and no excess beef filling up my freezer.
Half the fun of smoking briskets is smoking briskets, the other half is eating them.
scott p USER_AVATAR
Scott P
Cowboy

Postby Scott P » Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:21 am

12"x13" is going to be too small for a packer. My main WSM is 18.5" and pretty much anything bigger than 15 lbs has to be bent a bit to fit inside at the start. Like others said, separating the point and flat along the fat seam would be a good option. Plus, you get the benefit of more surface area for seasoning.
Buddha Belly BBQ Team

18" WSM
22" WSM
26" Kettle
Genesis II S-310
Large BGE
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:55 am

Most packers I find these days have a very thin flat. I'd cut the thin part off to the dimension that will fit your rig. If you have two shelves then take the small thin piece and smoke separately. I'd cut the smoke time in half for the thin piece and then wrap in foil with some broth or sauce to finish while the bigger part is still cooking. Not sure if that makes any sense but I think you can do it quite easily. Start by searching out a 10 pound packer if possible. Best of luck.
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”