Remembering those who gave all

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Watchinfire
Pilgrim

Remembering those who gave all

Postby Watchinfire » Mon May 31, 2021 5:34 am

:salut:
Remembering those who have given all so we can smoke BBQ. Hope everyone has a great Memorial Day!
Attachments
6E2ACA19-5663-4E73-B616-7FC8856DBF04.jpeg
GatorPit Predator
TDCJ Offset Stick burner
PitBoss 5 series Pellet Cabinet
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Re: Remembering those who gave all

Postby Rambo » Mon May 31, 2021 6:42 am

Amen to that; thanks to all who serve and those who have served :salut:
Rorschach
Wrangler

Postby Rorschach » Mon May 31, 2021 7:11 am

I just saw a national moment of remembrance is scheduled for 3 PM today. My father, a US Army Air Corps / Force veteran of WWII is predominant in my memories. He served in the North African, Mediterranean, and European theaters of operations, so pretty much the entire US direct involvement. First in air combat duty as a tail gunner and waist (side door) gunner in early B-24's, then ground duty as an Aircraft Armorer (loading ammunition and bombs) in a P-38 fighter / bomber group.
Attachments
texas_zpswacwwmhm.gif
texas_zpswacwwmhm.gif (264 Bytes) Viewed 1844 times
Watchinfire
Pilgrim

Postby Watchinfire » Mon May 31, 2021 7:38 am

Your dad saw it all - B-24’s, wow! Did he take part in Ploesti raid? I grew up reading all the stories and making the Revell models.
GatorPit Predator
TDCJ Offset Stick burner
PitBoss 5 series Pellet Cabinet
Rorschach
Wrangler

Postby Rorschach » Mon May 31, 2021 9:20 am

Watchinfire wrote:Your dad saw it all - B-24’s, wow! Did he take part in Ploesti raid? I grew up reading all the stories and making the Revell models.

Yes he did. He had great mechanical aptitude and used that to become an aircraft armorer for the P-38 unit while still stationed in North Africa though. The B-24's were a no-frills design with respect to "creature comforts" compared to the B-17's, and the earlier models lacked features such as the chin gun turret of the later models. These were the days when the US was learning how to fight a modern war, including in the air, at the steep end of that learning curve. If he hadn't been able to transfer, I might never have been born.

I still have all his memorabilia from that time. Photos of Mt. Etna smoking away taken from his waist gunner position with the door swung open, guys having motorcycle races with the Army issue Harleys in the high desert environment of the Atlas Mountains (with plenty of wagering I'm sure), a few large jagged pieces of flak he kept that must have almost had his number on it, his dog tags, his DD-214, campaign ribbons with invasion arrow (only one invasion arrow was awarded to each person regardless of how many invasions they participated in), a good conduct medal, scrip and Arabic language bills and all sorts of coins, a few ladies, and lots of photos of aircraft - some in better shape than others.
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Mon May 31, 2021 10:04 am

We need a Like button. :salut:
Moink!
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Mon May 31, 2021 10:24 am

Amen to saluting our Veterans, including several here on the TXBBQF, including the Captain, Dragon, and the several others whose names I regretfully don’t recall at the moment. And remembering both the valiant combat veterans who put themselves in harm’s way as well as the stateside and cold war veterans who kept us safe and prevented foreign wars from reaching our shores and hot wars from happening through their deterrence.

Special recognition to the Ploesti crews, some of the nastiest missions of the war with a very high casualty rate.

And particularly remembering my Dad who was a pony driver for the Air Force and my uncle Ray Golden of the US Army who served in and between the wars from ‘44 and into the ‘50’s.
Attachments
B4BF6CE3-FE4F-4964-B969-23B2EFF6DE63.jpeg
Williams AFB 1949
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Mon May 31, 2021 10:36 am

https://www.norwegianamerican.com/soldi ... -telemark/ Sailor said. I appreciate the efforts of all the Americans and Britain's helping liberating Norway during the WWII. Also important to honor their sacrifices.

Here's a story about a B 24 that crashed during a raid. Maybe your father flew raids over Norway, too.

https://www.norwegianamerican.com/soldi ... -telemark/

Sent fra min SM-G988B via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon May 31, 2021 11:09 am

:flag: :salut: :flag: :salut: :flag: :salut: :flag: :salut: :flag: :salut: :flag: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Rorschach
Wrangler

Postby Rorschach » Mon May 31, 2021 4:00 pm

Norway Joe wrote:https://www.norwegianamerican.com/soldiers-last-flight-to-telemark/ Sailor said. I appreciate the efforts of all the Americans and Britain's helping liberating Norway during the WWII. Also important to honor their sacrifices.

Here's a story about a B 24 that crashed during a raid. Maybe your father flew raids over Norway, too.

https://www.norwegianamerican.com/soldi ... -telemark/

No Joe, his flying days were from bases in North Africa. But for all he saw and went through, he was thankful he hadn't served in the Pacific Theater of Operations.

I grew up with a guy who's father had been a POW of the Japanese during WWII. That man's body was liberated and rescued, but his mind never left that prison camp. He would regularly wake up convinced then-current 1970's reality was some illusory place his mind had gone to in an attempt to escape the horrors, and he was certain at any moment it would dissolve, and he'd find himself being dragged by his captors for another series of tortures. Sheer madness in the world in that time in Asia and the Pacific (excluding Japanese borders with the USSR, after being handed a decisive bloody nose at Khalkhin Gol in 1939, the following nonagression pact was honored by both Japan and the USSR until after V-E Day). He had been through all sorts of treatments including electroshock therapy but nothing ever really worked.

Such men are also in my mind today, not only from WWII.

I've seen the film The Heroes of Telemark, as well as numerous documentaries about that action. Isn't it amazing the only location heavy water had been isolated in any quantity at that time was Telemark? Leading edge science of that time!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon May 31, 2021 5:19 pm

Here's one that I've always liked to see at these times.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6BlOkpdkg8 :flag: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon May 31, 2021 5:25 pm

Rorschach wrote:I grew up with a guy who's father had been a POW of the Japanese during WWII. That man's body was liberated and rescued, but his mind never left that prison camp. He would regularly wake up convinced then-current 1970's reality was some illusory place his mind had gone to in an attempt to escape the horrors, and he was certain at any moment it would dissolve, and he'd find himself being dragged by his captors for another series of tortures. Sheer madness in the world in that time in Asia and the Pacific (excluding Japanese borders with the USSR, after being handed a decisive bloody nose at Khalkhin Gol in 1939, the following nonagression pact was honored by both Japan and the USSR until after V-E Day). He had been through all sorts of treatments including electroshock therapy but nothing ever really worked.

My Uncle was captured when his company first landed and they became "The Bataan Death March". For and long long time he would not talk about it to any one and then much much later he shared some horror stories with the family one Christmas Night. After he finished, he said that was the last time that he would ever talk about it. He was lucky and lived a very successful and healthy life raising two fine Sons.
allenayres USER_AVATAR
allenayres
Rustler

Postby allenayres » Mon May 31, 2021 8:07 pm

The Greatest Generation. :salut:
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:56 am

allenayres wrote:The Greatest Generation. :salut:
Absolutely true. Pure horror and terror all over the world at that time.

Instagram: Norway_joe1
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:41 am

allenayres wrote:The Greatest Generation. :salut:

Without a doubt Allen!
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”