Going to be an expensive holiday season

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

scott p USER_AVATAR
Scott P
Cowboy

Going to be an expensive holiday season

Postby Scott P » Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:21 pm

I was just in Costco today and brisket prices are still $4.59/lb for Prime. Wally World/Kroger/HEB are all in $3.70/lb range for choice (if you can find it). I have to cook one for a camping trip in two weeks, one or two for Thanksgiving and two for inventory lunch at my wife's work. Plus, I just want to cook one for myself. We need to see some sales soon, but I don't see it happening. Hopefully I'll also be able to find some brine free turkeys and turkey breasts to smoke and roast for friends and family too. The unbrined birds were a bit hard to find last year and everyone was hoping to squeeze out some extra money by charging for the additional water weight.
Buddha Belly BBQ Team

18" WSM
22" WSM
26" Kettle
Genesis II S-310
Large BGE
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Re: Going to be an expensive holiday season

Postby Rambo » Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:50 pm

I hear’ya . I went to Lufkin HEB today and they had ONE brisket. I declined that sorry sucker
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:12 am

On the world front, on top of existing supply chain issues, I understand the Chinese government is now telling citizens to store up (between the lines to hoard) food for the winter, as a heavy rainy season has impaired their harvest and winter temps are expected early. Global supply impacted, demand goes up, prices go up. Plus, all energy costs at 4 year highs. Happy for job security for Dr. Railsbach but everybody’s holiday dinner gonna be More Bucks Fer Less Clucks this year. All you game eaters will be ahead of the curve once more.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/china-te ... 19283.html
https://oilprice.com/oil-price-charts/
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:20 pm

Scott P wrote:I was just in Costco today and brisket prices are still $4.59/lb for Prime. Wally World/Kroger/HEB are all in $3.70/lb range for choice (if you can find it). I have to cook one for a camping trip in two weeks, one or two for Thanksgiving and two for inventory lunch at my wife's work. Plus, I just want to cook one for myself. We need to see some sales soon, but I don't see it happening. Hopefully I'll also be able to find some brine free turkeys and turkey breasts to smoke and roast for friends and family too. The unbrined birds were a bit hard to find last year and everyone was hoping to squeeze out some extra money by charging for the additional water weight.

This would be cheap for around here.
Moink!
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:26 pm

Debbie just paid 4.99 a lb. for this 19 lb. IBP prime at HEB.
She needs it for a comp in three weeks. I will super trim it down to about 6 lbs.
IMG_7515.JPG
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”