Smoked salsa

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Smoked salsa

Postby egghead » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:23 pm

Smoked most of the ingredients for smoked salsa including salt. Started Christmas presents.
Attachments
4E016DA5-D8F9-4C99-8F77-42D7C878CAAE.jpeg
E81DC21A-A0CE-48AE-83EA-FAAD744D40B4.jpeg
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Smoked salsa

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:11 pm

:tup: :wav: :chef: :chef: :chef: :cheers: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:43 pm

I do it every year EH. I grow Roma Tomatoes for this. I grow my own Jalapeño and Onions to go with it. I’ll slice the Roma’s and jalapeños in half and fill up 2 large aluminum pans. Place them in the stick burner at about 225 and let her roll for about 3-4 hours. I run the tomatoes through my meat grinder, peel and all: the jalapeños and onions I dice finely by hand; if you put those 2 in a blender, food processor, or grinder they turn to mush. Garlic, Salt, to your preference. I chop 2 cups of fresh “ Cilantro Leaves “, no stems. Bring it all to a boil, can, and water bath.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:51 pm

I prefer Pecan for this but whatever you prefer. One other tip if you don’t have Fresh Home Grown Tomatoes; Walmart has “ Roasted, Salsa Tomatoes “. They work well in this application and much easier than messing with fresh tomatoes. You can pour them in an Aluminum pan and smoke.
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:35 pm

Those gifts come with love. Very nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:33 pm

I’ve been adjusting this recipe for a while and I’m pretty happy with it. I used mesquite this time for smoke but have used oak as well. I use cold smoke with an A-maze-n tube.

Ingredients
1 chopped medium smoked onion
1 chopped smoked jalapeño (seeded)
4 cloves chopped smoked garlic
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 cup chicken stock
1 can of tomatoes (14-1/2 oz)
1 Tbs smoked ancho powder
1 tsp smoked guajillo powder
1 Tbs Mexican oregano
1 tsp cumin
Smoked salt to taste
Juice of a lime

Extra Chopped smoked onion and tomatoes added after blending.

About 10 days ago I stemmed, seeded, and smoked a bunch of ancho and guajillo chiles. Then I put them through a coffee grinder to make the smoked powder.

Process:
Chop the onion and jalapeño and sauté about 5 minutes
Add the chopped garlic and sauté another minute
Add all the rest of the ingredients with the exception of the lime juice and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 15-20 minutes. Salsa will thicken during simmering.

Blend salsa and add the lime juice. Add about a 1/4 cup of chopped smoked onion and a 1/4 cup of chopped smoked tomato to each pint jar that have been sterilized, then fill with the blended salsa. Process the jars in boiling water.

I’m not a fan of extra heat, but it can be added with Chipotle powder or cayenne.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”