Could need some Brisket advice, please

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Could need some Brisket advice, please

Postby Norway Joe » Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:30 pm

I'm planning on smoking a brisket on Saturday. It's not very big. 5.2 lbs.

I have very little experience with brisket. I'm planning to smoke on 225.

I think smoking until IT 165 and then wrap before continuing.

How long can I expect this to take?

Should I spritz during the first period. E.g. with apple juice?

Anything else I should think of?

Appreciate your great advices.

Sent fra min SM-G988B via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Re: Could need some Brisket advice, please

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:43 pm

In my experience cooking briskets at or around 225° yields a dry product Joe. At 5.2 lbs. it sounds like you are cooking a flat I would cook it fat cap down running the cooker at around 275° to 300° until it hits 165° internal. Then I would pan it with about 8 oz. of beef broth and foil cover. Bring the flat to an internal temp of 205° / 210° looking for probe tender.
Once you reach probe tender take the brisket off the cooker still covered for about 1 hour then uncover and let rest another 45 min to an hour to reset the bark. Remove from the pan and slice.
I never spritz my briskets.
Six to eight hours including the rest cooking at those temps. Remember if it finishes early it can rest longer. In my opinion a quality finished brisket is all about the rest.
I hope this helps. :D
A side note a brisket that size will usually fit in an aluminum turkey pan when ready to pan. If you foil wrap place a small cookie tray under the brisket so the foil doesn't rip.
Last edited by k.a.m. on Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:51 pm

What KAM said ^
tarde venientibus ossa....
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:05 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:49 pm

NOW YOU KNOW :tup: :chef: :cheers: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:26 pm

Yep
zeeker USER_AVATAR
Zeeker
Rustler

Postby Zeeker » Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:41 am

k.a.m. wrote:In my experience cooking briskets at or around 225° yields a dry product Joe. At 5.2 lbs. it sounds like you are cooking a flat I would cook it fat cap down running the cooker at around 275° to 300° until it hits 165° internal. Then I would pan it with about 8 oz. of beef broth and foil cover. Bring the flat to an internal temp of 205° / 210° looking for probe tender.
Once you reach probe tender take the brisket off the cooker still covered for about 1 hour then uncover and let rest another 45 min to an hour to reset the bark. Remove from the pan and slice.
Six to eight hours including the rest cooking at those temps. Remember if it finishes early it can rest longer. In my opinion a quality finished brisket is all about the rest.
A side note a brisket that size will usually fit in an aluminum turkey pan when ready to pan. If you foil wrap place a small cookie tray under the brisket so the foil doesn't rip.

Very sound advice. k.a.m. knows his Briskets. I too smoke all my Briskets at 275*. The only thing I'll add to this is I don't smoke Brisket by temp or time anymore, I smoke them by tenderness only "Probe", I only use temp for a guideline. Depending on the Brisket, choice, select, prime. They all get done at different temps and time, also it depend if you inject your Briskets with phosphates. I usually only smoke packers "point and flat" together but once in a while I'll just smoke a flat. I did a small 5lb flat for my dad a while ago, he brought it over and asked me to smoke it for him.
Sorry it's an older photbucket pic but that all I have on this computer.

Brisket.jpg
KCBS/CBJ
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:45 am

k.a.m. wrote:In my experience cooking briskets at or around 225° yields a dry product Joe. At 5.2 lbs. it sounds like you are cooking a flat I would cook it fat cap down running the cooker at around 275° to 300° until it hits 165° internal. Then I would pan it with about 8 oz. of beef broth and foil cover. Bring the flat to an internal temp of 205° / 210° looking for probe tender.
Thanks a lot. That was very helpful. I'll try to follow this. Will post another thread on Saturday.

norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:46 am

Zeeker wrote:

Very sound advice. k.a.m. knows his Briskets. I too smoke all my Briskets at 275*. The only thing I'll add to this is I don't smoke Brisket by temp or time anymore, I smoke them by tenderness only "Probe", I only use temp for a guideline. Depending on the Brisket, choice, select, prime. They all get done at different temps and time, also it depend if you inject your Briskets with phosphates. I usually only smoke packers "point and flat" together but once in a while I'll just smoke a flat. I did a small 5lb flat for my dad a while ago, he brought it over and asked me to smoke it for him.
Sorry it's an older photbucket pic but that all I have on this computer.

Brisket.jpg
Thanks. Brisket looks awesome. I don't inject.

k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:19 am

As Zeeker mentioned time and internal temp is a good guideline but the probe is always my final nod for a finished product.
Good luck on your cook Joe I look forward to seeing the finished product.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:45 am

k.a.m. wrote:As Zeeker mentioned time and internal temp is a good guideline but the probe is always my final nod for a finished product.
Good luck on your cook Joe I look forward to seeing the finished product.
Thanks.

k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:14 am

Prep your brisket the morning of. I like to prep the brisket then season it and then light my fire, the time between seasoning and getting the cooker ready allows the rubs to sweat into the brisket. Not sure what rubs you will use but a medium base coat of Texas Sweet Pecan then topped with SPG is a great brisket combo.
I also like just 50/50 16 mesh coarse black pepper and Kosher salt.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:43 pm

k.a.m. wrote:Prep your brisket the morning of. I like to prep the brisket then season it and then light my fire, the time between seasoning and getting the cooker ready allows the rubs to sweat into the brisket. Not sure what rubs you will use but a medium base coat of Texas Sweet Pecan then topped with SPG is a great brisket combo.
I'm out of most of my SB products but still have a jar of SPG. I think maybe the Holy Cow bbq rub from Meat church may work topped with the SPG?

Have to reorder SB but they have stopped shipping to Norway. I have a US adress that I can use and that forward to Norway but more hassle with paperwork.

rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:14 pm

Joey, if you don’t mind the garlic just go straight SPG. If you don’t want garlic, just season it with good S&P and smoke it about 5 hours, put it in the pan, poke it in your kitchen oven at 250 and roll. We’re not cooking in a competition at home
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:54 pm

Norway Joe wrote:
k.a.m. wrote:Prep your brisket the morning of. I like to prep the brisket then season it and then light my fire, the time between seasoning and getting the cooker ready allows the rubs to sweat into the brisket. Not sure what rubs you will use but a medium base coat of Texas Sweet Pecan then topped with SPG is a great brisket combo.
I'm out of most of my SB products but still have a jar of SPG. I think maybe the Holy Cow bbq rub from Meat church may work topped with the SPG?

Have to reorder SB but they have stopped shipping to Norway. I have a US adress that I can use and that forward to Norway but more hassle with paperwork.

That will work Joe. Or either one by itself should turn out a tasty product.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”