homemade pit / bbq

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

als427
Pilgrim

homemade pit / bbq

Postby als427 » Mon May 30, 2022 10:57 am

Hi all im over in the Uk
Ive had moderate success and failure with OKJ offset smoker. Recently tried low and slow pork rills on a regular bbq ( not offset) with great results.
3-4 hours pork ribs over a few coals around 225f.
with that I want too build a home are pit , I can see people make them out of hollow cinder blocks but in the uk the cost is prohibitive.
I do have access to solid blocks but they would need mortaring together and I want to be able to move it. SO...:
It also occurred to me I could make a bbq pit ( not an offset smoker) for low slow bbq grilling etc using an old large truck tool box.please see pictures.
box is about 2' x 2' x 4' plenty for me and I think the grill height would be fine , way more than I had the other day
Any issues with this ? Anyone else done this and any recommendations? opening sizes for coal shovelling in , lining the interior with blocks / firebricks / adding smoke stack? anything else ? all info , opinions and experience welcome
presuming the paint is not an issue as its powder coated - no different to a normal bbq thats painted?
thanks all
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-05-28 at 10.44.28.jpg
Screenshot 2022-05-28 at 10.44.19.jpg
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Re: homemade pit / bbq

Postby Rambo » Mon May 30, 2022 12:13 pm

Welcome to TBBQF: there are some knowledgeable pit builders here that hopefully see your post and offer an opinion
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Mon May 30, 2022 1:23 pm

If it’s powder coated you can’t cook with it. Even a residential oven once used to powder coat shouldn’t be use for food again. The box idea is good just need to stay away from the powder coated units.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
als427
Pilgrim

Postby als427 » Tue May 31, 2022 4:32 am

ah -thats a real shame , I will contact the manufacturer to confirm but suspect it is powder coated - was the ideal size and with a hinged lid!! :(
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Tue May 31, 2022 9:11 am

Welcome to the forum.
Have the inside blasted.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
als427
Pilgrim

Postby als427 » Tue May 31, 2022 10:50 am

ok its not powder coated , but a phosphate based finish / paint.
Not sure thats any better
dont want to get in to sandblasting , not sure its worth the hassle over here , expensive for what it is
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Tue May 31, 2022 12:31 pm

als427 wrote:ok its not powder coated , but a phosphate based finish / paint.
Not sure thats any better
dont want to get in to sandblasting , not sure its worth the hassle over here , expensive for what it is

From what I’ve read phosphate coatings are water based. Much like using a 55 gal drum, it should burn out. I’d burn it out, season it and go from there.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Tue May 31, 2022 1:20 pm

:cheers: great advice GTR
als427
Pilgrim

Postby als427 » Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:28 am

thanks GTR , will try and get more info on the paint , but if thats the case would be good news
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:27 pm

als427 wrote:thanks GTR , will try and get more info on the paint , but if thats the case would be good news

Best news is there are several options as far as design. Cajun microwave, cabinet, rear mount fire box or it could double as a grill and indirect smoker. Can’t make out what kind is seal is on the lid. It probably won’t take the heat. Just dig it out and reseal with a food grade silicone. Couple of how to’s to be found for that process here on the board. Looking forward to seeing your design idea.
Ray Wylie Hubbard

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”