Can someone explain to me how to properly use the vents on a weber kettle?

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

leolaquitzon
Pilgrim

Can someone explain to me how to properly use the vents on a weber kettle?

Postby leolaquitzon » Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:24 pm

I totally understand that the charcoal needs oxygen and that venting is what's required for fire to continue with the lid closed. I usually use a combo of both vents to control temp weather I'm smoking, grilling or whatever, but is there a 'proper' way?
Ie. are there situations when the bottom should be left open and only use the top vent, or vice-versa? Also why?
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Re: Can someone explain to me how to properly use the vents on a weber kettle?

Postby GRailsback » Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:38 pm

Currently I only have the mini weber kettle, but I leave my bottom vent wide open all the time, and control with the top. Then when I am done i close both and you will end up with some usable charcoal for the next cook should you choose to use it.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:00 am

99% of the time I run with intake and exhaust wide open because I cook indirect meaning charcoal on one side and meat and exhaust on the other. the other 1% is intakes half open and exhaust wide open still cooking indirect to slow my cook down when cooking say CSR's. If I want to cook directly over the coals I use my 22" Old Smokey as the coals are farther from the meat.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
uhmump951
Wrangler

Postby uhmump951 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:08 am

I leave the bottom vents open and control temps through the top vent on my 26. As mentioned above, I cook indirectly on my kettle.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:33 am

uhmump951 wrote:I leave the bottom vents open and control temps through the top vent on my 26. As mentioned above, I cook indirectly on my kettle.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

That's what I do also - - - GOOD LUCK :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
strength_and_pow
Cowboy

Postby strength_and_pow » Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:53 pm

So I do the opposite, I use the bottom to control air intake and leave the top vent wide open. I feel it creates a draft of sorts and constantly brings new smoke in. I’ve geeked out with temp probes and using the ring of fire/snake method of charcoal layout, double stacked briquettes,bottom vent open 1/4” inch, top vent wide open and starting 12 briquettes in the chimney, I get a consistent 235-250* grate temp and close to 9 hours of burn time.

It may be time to geek out again and try the other way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
scott p USER_AVATAR
Scott P
Cowboy

Postby Scott P » Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:52 am

I've done both in the past. According to Weber, you should always leave the bottom vents wide open and control the temps with the top control. I have been doing it that way for a while now. I only cook indirect or grill on my kettle now, so I don't need it to be too low.
Buddha Belly BBQ Team

18" WSM
22" WSM
26" Kettle
Genesis II S-310
Large BGE
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:36 am

I've always left the bottom ones open because it seems to me that they could become very hot during the Cooking Process :scratch: :dont: :whiteflag:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”