National Whole Hog BBQ Day

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

National Whole Hog BBQ Day

Postby Rambo » Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:54 am

I’ve never attempted it.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: National Whole Hog BBQ Day

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:06 am

I've never done it either but I did help my Friend one year with his "Rowdy Friends Get Together". :tup: He did the Pig in the Ground and it came out great every year. About all he let me do was dig the hole. :laughing7: :roll: :dont: :dont: :lol: :lol: I'm thinking that our ol Friend from down under, Russ, and his Boy used to do the Whole Hawgs on a Rotissiere Type Pit :dont:

One year on the first of April, I did a Whole Gator. :laughing7: :lol: :D :whiteflag:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:08 am

It's on my list, but man, talk about an intimidating cook!
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:19 am

Here's the one that Russ and his Son did a while back on their Spit Pit
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=28801&hilit=whole+pig

Here's another one (smaller 35# Pig) that's done on the Pellet Pooper.
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=29074&p=255482&hilit=whole+pig#p255482
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:58 am

I have watched several videos and went to a friend's place in South Carolina who had a whole hog cooked, just for us...
it was very tasty, they called it a pig picken, (in the haze of my memory there was copious amounts of adult beverage consumed) but for me it seems very intimidating...
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:23 am

spacetrucker wrote:I have watched several videos and went to a friend's place in South Carolina who had a whole hog cooked, just for us...
it was very tasty, they called it a pig picken, (in the haze of my memory there was copious amounts of adult beverage consumed) but for me it seems very intimidating...

ENTER SOUNDTRACK FOR STORY:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eZo-kJkFJA
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:23 pm

I did a small one many years ago on an offset. It was a chore but it turned out ok.
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:44 pm

Have done 4 to date on Rosebud, all came out beautiful, did them for a buddy at the office for client events and evidently they were a big hit. A few observations:

1 After prepping by doing a lot of online reading, I brined the hog in advance of smoking. Accomplished this by buying a food safe kitchen sized trashcan from Ace Mart restaurant supply, and then hanging the carcass upside down from a section of broomstick tied to the rear feet. Then mixed in the brine by pouring in Ozarka spring water and Mexican beer 50/50 Until the water level was nearly up to the top. Then stirred in a couple cups of salt and Gator’s Hog Waller from Sucklebusters until it became a good stinky mixture. I did all this while having the cam loaded into my old shop refrigerator. A good alternative would be to ice in the kitchen trashcan Down inside of a larger trashcan.
2. Brined it all night and then smoked it low at 225 to 250 for 12 hours straight using hickory wood. Turned out beautiful.
3. While you can do it spread eagle, due to the size limitations of the pit I did mine “running style” where are the legs oars tucked in underneath. I actually think this is a good thing, as it seemed to retain moisture very well. Pig came out exceptionally juicy.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:13 pm

:tup: :wav: :chef: :cheers: :salut: :texas:

BOOTMAN, I am going to copy and save this post of yours.
It is the best Description/Recipe of a Whole Hawg that I have ever seen and it's not 10 pages long either.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:06 pm

For me, personally, I think I’ll stick with smaller cuts but I admire everyone that can tackle it and be successful :salut:
The Pocono Ring Shop
Cowboy

Postby The Pocono Ring Shop » Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:46 am

I watched my brother do one about 15 years ago at my sisters house in North Jersey. It looked like a lot of work but there was lots of beer, good music, around 6 quads and a big yard to rip up so that kept everyone busy while it was roasting up.

Everything turned out great until yours truly decided to take his 380 KTM 2 stroke off the trailer.
The neighbors changed their attitude once they heard that rippin around...

Ahh yes... to be dumb & young, good Ole days :):)

Sent from my SM-A135U using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:00 am

The Pocono Ring Shop wrote:I watched my brother do one about 15 years ago at my sisters house in North Jersey. It looked like a lot of work but there was lots of beer, good music, around 6 quads and a big yard to rip up so that kept everyone busy while it was roasting up.

???????????????
The Pocono Ring Shop
Cowboy

Postby The Pocono Ring Shop » Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:04 am

OldUsedParts wrote:
The Pocono Ring Shop wrote:I watched my brother do one about 15 years ago at my sisters house in North Jersey. It looked like a lot of work but there was lots of beer, good music, around 6 quads and a big yard to rip up so that kept everyone busy while it was roasting up.

???????????????
4 wheelers

Sent from my SM-A135U using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:12 am

:tup: - - s'what I figger'd
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:51 am

I have done a few. I do prefer cooking 30# to 40# wild hogs over big domestic ones as the meat is a lot sweeter tasting in my opinion.
Nothing like getting together with friends and having a little pig picking.
IMG_0317.JPG

IMG_0318.JPG

IMG_0319.JPG
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”