Butcher paper vs foil advice

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Re: Butcher paper vs foil advice

Postby Rambo » Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:02 pm

Nice Post PT :tup:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:11 am

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

WHAT HE SAID
:tup: :tup: :wav: :salut: :salut: :cheers: :cheers: :chef: :chef:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:35 am

Papa Tom, good post...
we always do the new bbq joint comparison judging as well...
I hope nobody thought I was degrading comp cooking, I am not, without comp cooking we likely would not have the methods and variety of food and flavors we have today, its just not my bag of marbles :whiteflag:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:33 pm

spacetrucker wrote:Papa Tom, good post...
we always do the new bbq joint comparison judging as well...
I hope nobody thought I was degrading comp cooking, I am not, without comp cooking we likely would not have the methods and variety of food and flavors we have today, its just not my bag of marbles :whiteflag:

I don’t think anyone took it that way Brother; I certainly did not
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:25 pm

I agree with Rambo, Friend, I don't think that anyone got offended at all :tup: :salut: :texas:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:26 am

As a certified head judge I can say I have tasted a lot of good BBQ. The problem with competition BBQ is it is cooked with one thing in mind and that is a one bite blow you away pop.

This is done by commercial injections, marinades triple layers of seasonings. You do not really want to serve this at home with multiple plates in mind as it is full of phosphates and enhancers like MSG.

As a competition cook when I cook for friends or family I cook back yard BBQ. I keep briskets and ribs simple and this is what they expect. They have all tasted our Competition products but they know it isn't something you want to ingest a lot of.

I agree with Papa Tom I reserve Butcher paper for S&P. For the reasons I posted earlier.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
smoking piney USER_AVATAR
Smoking Piney
Outlaw

Postby Smoking Piney » Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:33 pm

k.a.m. wrote:As a certified head judge I can say I have tasted a lot of good BBQ. The problem with competition BBQ is it is cooked with one thing in mind and that is a one bite blow you away pop.

This is done by commercial injections, marinades triple layers of seasonings. You do not really want to serve this at home with multiple plates in mind as it is full of phosphates and enhancers like MSG.

As a competition cook when I cook for friends or family I cook back yard BBQ. I keep briskets and ribs simple and this is what they expect. They have all tasted our Competition products but they know it isn't something you want to ingest a lot of.

Thank you k.a.m! :D

I'm not a comp cook, but have been urged into it by a few friends. My roots are firmly in the back yard serving the best Q I can possibly cook to friends and family. No "one bite" involved.

That said, I use foil. :D
John - Hopelessly addicted to smoking and grilling. :D

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”