Electric smokers as a warmer?

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

scott p USER_AVATAR
Scott P
Cowboy

Electric smokers as a warmer?

Postby Scott P » Sat May 20, 2023 11:31 am

I have been wanting to add a food warmer to my collection, but don't want to drop a ton on a big commercial unit that would take up way to much space. I'm just looking to hold briskets and other foods at 140-170 degrees. My oven only gets down to 175 degrees and I don't trust a cooler to hold that temps overnight. I really don't want my RTIC drink cooler to smell like BBQ either. I have enough coolers and tents that do that already. So, I've seen people talking about using those electric Masterbuilt or similar smokers as holding ovens. I just can't find specs on how low they go.

Has anyone tried this before? I see they are cheap enough on the marketplace and just wanted to know which ones people have experience with. I was counting on electric, but I would take propane in a pinch.
Buddha Belly BBQ Team

18" WSM
22" WSM
26" Kettle
Genesis II S-310
Large BGE
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Re: Electric smokers as a warmer?

Postby Rambo » Sat May 20, 2023 7:20 pm

It sounds like you have the answers
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Sat May 20, 2023 7:20 pm

No experience with an electric smoker, but have you thought about a turkey roaster? Those can get down to 150, you just have to get the temp knob and actual temp inside mapped out.
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Wed May 24, 2023 4:33 am

I had a cookshack electric smoker I believe it was a sm005 those are no longer made, that I used for years until I gave it to a neighbor in a patio clean up effort.
in the end of our use of it we would bake potatoes and such, it would have worked great as a warmer.
the only problem was it needed a digital thermometer, so I used a maverick or similar, 130 degrees was a good low on that smoker, it also worked great as a dehydrator one just had to open the door to "dump" the humidity from time to time :lol:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
scott p USER_AVATAR
Scott P
Cowboy

Postby Scott P » Fri May 26, 2023 9:03 pm

From what I've seen, some of them only go down to 225 degrees or so. The Pit Boss ones can hit 150, so they might be my option. A full sized warmer looks to be cost and space prohibitive for now.
Buddha Belly BBQ Team

18" WSM
22" WSM
26" Kettle
Genesis II S-310
Large BGE

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”