Got a Goat Question

Lamb, goat, wild game, sausage, any other meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

txbbqman_1 USER_AVATAR
Txbbqman_1
Rustler

Got a Goat Question

Postby Txbbqman_1 » Fri May 14, 2010 8:43 am

Ok, so here's the deal. My dad is turning 64 next weekend. Since I have a new pit, I was thinking of doing a BBQ for him. Well one of his best friends called last night and said they wanted to all ( all of dads friends ) go to the lake for the weekend for his birthday and wanted to know if I would drag my pit over and cook for them. So I say no problem and then he throws out there that he has a whole goat and wants me to cook it. It is still at the Butchers and I can have it cut however I want, leave it whole, half it, quarter it...... whatever I want.

Problem is.....I have never cooked goat before. I did a quick search and only found one thread about it and like 1 of the ideas I saw in there, but wanted to ask the collective if anyone had any ideas for goat.

Appreciate any help
Brad

Smokin' Hobos BBQ Team

Lang 84 Deluxe w/ Chargriller
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Re: Got a Goat Question

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri May 14, 2010 9:16 am

Personally I'd quarter it and then marinade overnight. If he likes Caribbean food then are plenty marinades for goat on google. As for finished temp, some folks say to go 150°, others like it more falling off the bone. Guesimate 30 minutes a pound at 225°. Might want to also google Cabrito.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
stan41 USER_AVATAR
Stan41
Bandolero

Re: Got a Goat Question

Postby Stan41 » Fri May 14, 2010 12:42 pm

Here is a very old cabrito recipe that came from an old rancher who lived near here. The recipe is probably from the 1950's. I haven't tried it myself, but the old fellow could sure make good BBQ.

Luther Jernigan's Cabrito
20 pounds young kid goat
1 cup Salt
1 Tablespoon Dry jalapeno (ground)
1 Tablespoon Black pepper
1 teaspoon ground Cumin

BARBECUE SAUCE
2 cups Sugar
1 cup prepared mustard
½ cup apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

Mix salt, jalapeno, black pepper and cumin. Sprinkle meat generously. Cook slowly on grill 2 hours (or less depending on cut of meat). Be sure meat is well above fire (at least 20 to 24 inches). Meat may be brushed with cooking oil occasionally to prevent dryness. While meat cooks prepare sauce. At least 30 minutes before removing from fire; brush meat with sauce. Continue cooking and turn the meat often, brushing on sauce at every turn.
Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers

Return to “Other Meat and Sausages”