smoke/roasted salsa

Everything Grilled. We LOVE pictures.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Re: smoke/roasted salsa

Postby Norway Joe » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:19 pm

Russ wrote:Yeah I watch CNN and fox, we had a frost of -5 a week ago. Highs of 12 deg c . Bring on summer.

Russ

Seems like we are changing seasons. Not sure if I look forward to it this time.

No hijack intended.

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
hj USER_AVATAR
Hj
Bandolero

Postby Hj » Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:15 am

Sailor Kenshin wrote:Looks gooood! So you just chop the smoked stuff and pour it into a jar?

Realizing I'm getting "pre matured in age" FORGIVE ME if I 'very repeated anything I've posted.
On the smoked salsa ñ canning .
The ingredients U use or I saw pictured is awesome. Using serrano ñ jalapeño together are good ñ when ready to cook all ingredients either before canning or just eating ñ not enough to can ... after smoking peppers- onions- garlic- ñ etc. - the fresh salt to taste - cilantro goes in ...but have U ever add some cumin powder just enough to UR taste buds. PUTS the salsa over the top. Doesn't take much cumin powder ñ depending on how much one is making ..determines amount used. AMOUNT I
use for the picture I saw on the grill ..I would start with after U have blended it a little first together with the cilantro start out for those who never has tried cumin powder ½ to 1 tsp. Stir well ñ go from there. U don't want to over power it but just enough that the flavor is robustly just wanting more.

U can roast the veggies shown in the picture who ever posted it ñ add the cilantro - salt ñ cumin..I use granulated garlic but roasted is good also ñ blend all together ñ eat ...or after blending can place in huge pot ..bring to boil n immediately turn heat down to simmer abt 5 minutes ñ can UR salsa in answer to UR question.
A mistake is sometimes a great creation
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:14 am

Ok Hj, how much Cumin? My batches yield 6 pints per batch AND there is fresh Cilantro. So I’m guessing, maybe a Tablespoon?
hj USER_AVATAR
Hj
Bandolero

Postby Hj » Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:02 pm

Rambo wrote:Ok Hj, how much Cumin? My batches yield 6 pints per batch AND there is fresh Cilantro. So I’m guessing, maybe a Tablespoon?

For 6 pints I would go 2 Tablespoons ñ a big handful of cilantro ..

Rambo. Mix it all as usual ñ add the cilantro in stir well ñ start out with 1 Tablespoon of cumin stirred well. LET IT SIT A few minutes n taste it but MY guess it will be more. ..U want that. what's that taste thought. In fact Might have to go more.
A mistake is sometimes a great creation
1moreford USER_AVATAR
1MoreFord
Rustler

Postby 1MoreFord » Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:36 am

I would warn anyone putting cumin in salsa that, at least for me, cumin flavor multiplies when taken from room temp to refrigerated. I found that out with commercial salsa that tasted great in the store at room temp but the cumin went crazy when I got home and put it in the fridge.
Joe

Falcon MKV Gas Grill w/Grill Grates, OK Joe Longhorn now gone, CharGriller Akorn, Camp Chef 24SG, and Weber 22" OTG
captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Postby CaptJack » Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:09 pm

I make my own chili powder from Ancho, Arbol, &either Cascabel or Guajillo dried peppers.
When I make chili I add 1 heaping tablespoon of my chili powder for each 1/2 pound of meat that I use.
I also add Cumin, Coriander, Turmeric, Paprika, Oregano & S&P.

If i was going to add anything to my smoke-roasted sausa it would be my chili powder.
Attachments
ChiliPowder.jpg
22"OldSmokey • 2-burner gasser with GrillGrates

Return to “Grillin and Chillin”