Santa Maria Tri Tip Supper

Everything Grilled. We LOVE pictures.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Rorschach
Wrangler

Santa Maria Tri Tip Supper

Postby Rorschach » Tue May 18, 2021 10:55 pm

I asked my wife to check for tri tip at our nearby H-E-B Plus! today, she found two nice Prime 1 examples at $6.99 / lb, especially considering H-E-B advertises their Select grade tri tip roasts at $5.65 / lb.

https://www.heb.com/product-detail/h-e- ... ect/371933

Here's the one for the freezer to cook up another day.

20210518_220216.jpg

Here's the one I cooked on my original 1970's vintage Porable Kitchens grill, using some Frontier lump charcoal and shagbark hickory chunklets. I used the basic Stephen Raichlen rub recipe with a few mods: I cut the (kosher) salt in half and used granulated garlic instead of garlic powder.

20210518_213447.jpg

Plated with some loaded mashed potatoes.

20210518_214322.jpg

After carving tonight's supper pieces - looks great for leftovers!
Attachments
20210518_220208.jpg
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Re: Santa Maria Tri Tip Supper

Postby k.a.m. » Wed May 19, 2021 9:19 am

Beautifully done Rorschach! :salut: :salut: :salut:
I would need a bit of horseradish sauce with that to complete my night. :D
I will get Debbie to check our HEB for them. They usually do not carry them here in the Beaumont area.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed May 19, 2021 9:47 am

Larapin.jpg
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Wed May 19, 2021 2:38 pm

That's a great meal.

Sent fra min SM-G988B via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
Rorschach
Wrangler

Postby Rorschach » Wed May 19, 2021 10:25 pm

Thank you Kevin!

Thank you OldUsedParts!

Thank you Norway Joe!

I got a better surface texture this time with my poor old original PK grill that's way warped and no longer seals at all from me using all windstorm mesquite wood for cooking as a younger man, than the ones I've cooked on my much newer patio BBQ equipment. I think I've established a new tradition for me with this cut.

k.a.m. wrote:Beautifully done Rorschach! :salut: :salut: :salut:
I will get Debbie to check our HEB for them. They usually do not carry them here in the Beaumont area.

Kevin,

Our nearest HEB happens to be a HEB Plus! store, I'm guessing it caries more of a selection of meats (and other items) than the standard HEB stores. You may be able to order some through the HEB system at the store y'all shop at since they're individually cry-o-vac'ed it could be reasonably easy, but who knows. My foggy memory makes me think I've purchased (large) USDA Choice packages of tri tip before at Restaurant Depot before but I'm not sure of that. I know for sure I ws able to special order such boxes with 5 or 6 roasts packaged together when we lived in SE Louisiana through our closest IGA store Matherne's when we lived there. Either way we'd repackage them individually with our vacuum sealer but that definitely consumes freezer space.

We have three HEB Plus! stores near us, the second closest has a HEB True Texas BBQ in the main store and a True Texas Tacos in a convenience store near the HEB gas pumps and the third one has a South Flo Pizza in the store. I haven't been to Central Market or Restaurant Depot in several years now both those stores are much closer to Downtown and definitely more of a trek.

I'm determined to get back into cooking ore and cooking outdoors more especially as things public and personal are improving for me. I haven't fired up my trailer smoker once since we moved here. I'm considering putting it up for sale even though timing isn't great from an economic times perspective for selling.
smoking piney USER_AVATAR
Smoking Piney
Outlaw

Postby Smoking Piney » Thu May 20, 2021 7:08 am

Tri tip looks great, and so does the plate.

Well done! :salut: :cheers:
John - Hopelessly addicted to smoking and grilling. :D
Rorschach
Wrangler

Postby Rorschach » Fri May 21, 2021 1:27 am

Thank you Smoking Piney!
karnel
Pilgrim

Postby karnel » Fri May 21, 2021 4:24 am

Well done! Looks great!
williep USER_AVATAR
Williep
Outlaw

Postby Williep » Fri May 21, 2021 6:12 am

Look's great !!! :salut: :cheers: :salut: :cheers: :texas: I'll have to check to see if our H.E.B. has them.
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Fri May 21, 2021 6:45 am

Very very nicely done

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Fri May 21, 2021 8:21 am

Rorschach wrote:Thank you Kevin!

Thank you OldUsedParts!

Thank you Norway Joe!

I got a better surface texture this time with my poor old original PK grill that's way warped and no longer seals at all from me using all windstorm mesquite wood for cooking as a younger man, than the ones I've cooked on my much newer patio BBQ equipment. I think I've established a new tradition for me with this cut.

k.a.m. wrote:Beautifully done Rorschach! :salut: :salut: :salut:

Kevin,

Our nearest HEB happens to be a HEB Plus! store, I'm guessing it caries more of a selection of meats (and other items) than the standard HEB stores. You may be able to order some through the HEB system at the store y'all shop at since they're individually cry-o-vac'ed it could be reasonably easy, but who knows. My foggy memory makes me think I've purchased (large) USDA Choice packages of tri tip before at Restaurant Depot before but I'm not sure of that. I know for sure I ws able to special order such boxes with 5 or 6 roasts packaged together when we lived in SE Louisiana through our closest IGA store Matherne's when we lived there. Either way we'd repackage them individually with our vacuum sealer but that definitely consumes freezer space.

We have three HEB Plus! stores near us, the second closest has a HEB True Texas BBQ in the main store and a True Texas Tacos in a convenience store near the HEB gas pumps and the third one has a South Flo Pizza in the store. I haven't been to Central Market or Restaurant Depot in several years now both those stores are much closer to Downtown and definitely more of a trek.

I'm determined to get back into cooking ore and cooking outdoors more especially as things public and personal are improving for me. I haven't fired up my trailer smoker once since we moved here. I'm considering putting it up for sale even though timing isn't great from an economic times perspective for selling.

We have tried to order through the head meat guy but he always says it isn't on his pick list so he cannot get it. Same with plate ribs, they get them but will not special cut for us.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
Rorschach
Wrangler

Postby Rorschach » Fri May 21, 2021 5:38 pm

Well Kevin, once things get to where I travel again (nothing COVID-19 related) I'll have to see if I can drop some by during a visit to you & Debbie again, like I did when we were living in Louisiana and I was working 4 days a week in Houston. That was quite a while back now.
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sat May 22, 2021 2:28 pm

Yes, I am jealous. ;) :salut:
Moink!
Rorschach
Wrangler

Postby Rorschach » Sun May 23, 2021 12:15 am

Thank you karnel, WillieP, bsooner75, and Sailor Kenshin!

The crust loses some texture when nuked as leftovers but maintains the flavor. I used a little Lea & Perrin's Worcestershire sauce (and ONLY L&P) when reheating. It's the only steak sauce my father always had on hand when I was growing up. I've tried some other brands including during my travels outside the USA (including some places where Worcestershire sauce is labeled and referred to as "Salsa Ingles") but I've never found one that compared favorably when stacked against L&P.

I'm sure some places consider me a barberic American though (and I'm proud of it). Once when I was on a business trip to Germany in the spring, it was fresh asparagus season. I was dining alone in a small family restaurant and I ordered roast beef (rumpfleisch) with asparagus, the plate arrived with a light golden Hollandaise (I think?) sauce draped across the asparagus. As I recall there weren't any condiments available at the table I honestly don't remember even salt and pepper containers. I cut and took a few bites of the asparagus, looked around, and spotted a bottle of Tabasco sauce on top of the bar / beverages area. I got up, appropriated it, and sprinkled some Tabasco sauce over the golden coating, tried a few more bites, then liberally applied Tabasco sauce to the rest of my asparagus. I cleaned my plate, and not a word was said when my bill was brought & I paid. But I'm confident there was discussion after I left! Although I spoke in German while ordering I think my credit card tipped them off I was from the USA.

Return to “Grillin and Chillin”