Stretching a dollar

Everything Grilled. We LOVE pictures.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

JReich
Wrangler

Stretching a dollar

Postby JReich » Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:04 am

With the way prices are rising on meat these days, I find myself looking for ways to stretch a dollar. I’ve been fortunate to have a great career and income but that still doesn’t make it easy for me to spend double on a rack of ribs over what we were paying a couple years ago. I’m just frugal by nature and upbringing. I found these “pork brisket strips” for $1.69 a pound last weekend and had never heard of them but figured I’d give them a shot. Cooked up just like ribs and they turned out great, you just have to kind of eat them differently. They have little bits of cartilage and bone to eat around but overall, not bad. We had dinner that night, I hate two BBQ sandwiches during the week and finished the last of it off in an omelet this morning. So 5 total meals for $6 bucks.

I’ve also taken to buying chicken leg quarters, you can get 5 quarters for somewhere around $6bucks. It’s just me and my wife so those things stretch out pretty good too. Chicken and some cheap mac n cheese. Then take leftover chicken and debone and we had chicken fajitas the next night with it. We enjoy that show on Food Network called Chopped. We end up digging in the fridge for left overs and seeing what kind of cool meals we can make out of it.

Anyone else getting sticker shock on meat prices lately?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Re: Stretching a dollar

Postby Rambo » Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:04 pm

Definitely yes on the sticker prices. I love the chicken quarters and if you keep an eye out on the HEB weekly ad they’ll run 10lb bags for.39 a Lb about once a quarter.
tex_toby USER_AVATAR
tex_toby
Deputy

Postby tex_toby » Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:23 pm

I hear ya on those prices. Those rib strips look like the cartilage side of St Louis trimmed spares. Those leg quarters are a staple around my house as well. Cheap and good!
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Custom Mobile Stick Burner
Summerset TRL 32" Built-In Grill
Weber Q2200
48" Custom Firepit
Bertello Pizza Oven

I can't always please everybody. I'm not bacon.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:34 pm

Yeah those rib strips are the other half of the St Louis ribs also called the chine bone.
They cook up just like rib racks (but without ribs) I always buy spares then trim to St Louis and cook both parts.
My wife is a nut about how her ribs are done and cut so I feed her and go after the chine part that also allows me to try rub variations.
tarde venientibus ossa....
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:35 pm

Ya dun good!

For real sticker shock, pay us a visit….$1.69 won't even buy a picnic now. I can't even bear to look at beef prices.
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:44 pm

I've never been one to ?price shop? meats when I shop until now but HEB has, so far, managed to stay within my digestible range. :tup: :chef: :cheers: :salut: :texas:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:26 pm

That's some pretty color on the yard bird.
smoking piney USER_AVATAR
Smoking Piney
Outlaw

Postby Smoking Piney » Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:59 pm

I hear you on the prices.

Great way to stretch the buck - it all looks great. :salut:
John - Hopelessly addicted to smoking and grilling. :D

Return to “Grillin and Chillin”