Throwdown Series Idea

Bring it on! This is our online version of BBQ contests.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Re: Throwdown Series Idea

Postby TX1911 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:51 am

Understood! I am going to spread them out, rather than back to back if that makes any difference or makes participation any easier.
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
strength_and_pow
Cowboy

Throwdown Series Idea

Postby strength_and_pow » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:50 pm

Never having done a throwdown on this forum I’m curious as to how long the window to submit a dish is? It could be hard to hit all four as life/work/personal events arise. If someone missed the second event, they’d have really no reason to submit entries for the last 2 as they would effectively be out of the running for first. Maybe require 3 of 4 entries. If you miss one, you can still be in the running. If you hit all four, drop your lowest score and the three remaining is your overall score? Or do 5 events and drop the highest and lowest scores. Participation in first event is mandatory to establish the field in a sense.
To push creativity, instead of saying you have to submit a brisket, say your submission must contain brisket, which opens the door to brisket nachos, brisket sliders etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:58 pm

Its a pretty wide window. Usually at least a couple of weeks. We announce the entry deadline and entries can be submitted up until that time.
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:50 pm

The last one started Jan 17th and went until Midnight Feb 9th :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
cliffcarter USER_AVATAR
CliffCarter
Cowboy

Postby CliffCarter » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:27 pm

I like the idea of a series competition but I'd prefer cooking beans instead of fajitas.
Hard to get the cuts you mentioned locally, I just saw my first flank steak ever in our local grocery this week. :dont:
txsquarebody USER_AVATAR
TxSquarebody
Rustler

Postby TxSquarebody » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:45 pm

Custom 500 gallon trailer smoker, char-grill duo side by side with added fire box, maroon 36" firedisc, 36" Blackstone
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:47 pm

Lmao Sq
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:32 am

CliffCarter wrote:I like the idea of a series competition but I'd prefer cooking beans instead of fajitas.
Hard to get the cuts you mentioned locally, I just saw my first flank steak ever in our local grocery this week. :dont:

How about if we cook what Matt comes up with and support it. I work offshore for a living, and it sometimes takes me away for periods of time. I can still get onboard with this deal if I am out of town and just be happy it i score high in the individual category. Enough of trying to change the rules. I’ll gladly take a win in a single category if I can’t participate in all 4.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:29 am

GRailsback wrote:How about if we cook what Matt comes up with and support it.

ChefPointingUp.jpeg
ChefPointingUp.jpeg (9.12 KiB) Viewed 4841 times
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:18 pm

if Matt is TX1911 Then YES!!
He is kind enough to donate his time to include us all and do countless efforts behind the scenes that none of us see...
lets be supportive of his labors. :cheers:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
cliffcarter USER_AVATAR
CliffCarter
Cowboy

Postby CliffCarter » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:54 pm

GRailsback wrote:
CliffCarter wrote:I like the idea of a series competition but I'd prefer cooking beans instead of fajitas.

How about if we cook what Matt comes up with and support it. I work offshore for a living, and it sometimes takes me away for periods of time. I can still get onboard with this deal if I am out of town and just be happy it i score high in the individual category. Enough of trying to change the rules. I’ll gladly take a win in a single category if I can’t participate in all 4.

Not asking to change anything, just stating my preference for the original 4 categories.
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:01 pm

I've read everyone's comments and continued marinating this idea. Here is my final proposal, and if we do it, these will be the categories.

We have the best participation when things are less specific, so my intent is as follows, with the caveat that all categories must be cooked over an open flame of some sort (i.e. bbq).

First category: Open seafood. Anything that swims qualifies. To coincide with the lentin season, this will close easter weekend or the weekend after.

Second category: open chicken. Whole, drums, thighs, wings, as long as it clucks, it counts. Closing date to be determined.

Third category: open pork. If it oinks, its in. EXCEPT bacon. I want to see ribs, shoulders, loins, heck, whole hog if you've got the gumption. Closing date TBD.

Fourth and final category: beef. Brisket, clod, ribs, tenderloin, steak. Dealers choice. Closing date TBD.

Now, so everyone is on the same page, i nixed beans because they are not typically cooked on a grill, and without a taste component, it would be tremendously difficult to judge. I nixed fajitas due to the localized nature of the cuisine, I felt it gave U.S. members an unfair advantage.

So, what I need to know at this point is, are you in, or are you out? I don't mind the time component involved in these. But if there is enough participation, I am committing to a financial component, so I want to see as much participation as I can.

So, what say you?
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
strength_and_pow
Cowboy

Postby strength_and_pow » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:03 pm

I’m in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rambo USER_AVATAR