The best steak, comes out perfect every time.

Brisket, steaks, roasts, ground beef or any beef recipes.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

4x4balls USER_AVATAR
4x4balls
Pilgrim

The best steak, comes out perfect every time.

Postby 4x4balls » Fri May 30, 2008 7:53 pm

I may be new to BBQing, but i know a little something about cooking. The absolute best way to cook steak is so simple that it sounds stupid. It works every single time. I've been making it like this for years, and ive gotten nothing but compliments. If anyone gives it a try, please let me know how it goes.

You will need very high quality beef. Im not talking about those beef jerkies they sell in the deli at your supermarket, im talking about nice thick 2" prime beef. I favor New York cut steak. The reason i dont like porterhouse is because that little piece of filet mignon on the edge always cooks more than the new york side of the steak.

Make sure the beef has a lot of marbling. The more the better. Dont bother trimming that long strip of fat that runs on the side of the steak. We'll talk about this later.

Get yourself a quality cast iron skillet. Make sure its seasoned well.

Just before you cook, get your meat and season BOTH sides WELL with ONLY Sea Salt and COARSEly ground black peppercorns. When both sides are coated, put your cast iron skillet on high on the stove.

When it begins to smoke, reduce the heat to medium. We will not be using any oil at all in this recipe. If your meat is marbled nicely, you wont need any.

Put your steak onto the searing hot skillet and leave it alone.

Dont poke it, dont move it, dont push down on it, just let it sizzle. Depending on how you like your meat, the cooking times will vary.

On a nice smoking skillet with a 2" thick cut of meat, it takes about 5 minutes per side for a nice perfect pink medium well. Once 5 mintues has passed, flip it over on its other side. Again, dont touch it or move it. This side should take a minute less than the other side.

When both sides are nicely seared and crusty, use some prongs to hold the steak on its side (fat side down). This is that strip of fat that lines the edge. Sear that side too until its brown and crusty and fatty drippy goo.

Remove the steak from the heat and let it rest on a rack that is elevated from the plate. I usually use one of those things you put in the pot to steam vegetables.

After two minutes your steak is ready to eat.

Cut some slices off of it and marvel at its GLORY. Notice how there is a perfect ring of seared crust on the outsides and moist and pink and juicy on the inside.

LIFE IS GOOD.
Last edited by 4x4balls on Sat May 31, 2008 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's nothing more disappointing than a well done steak.
4x4balls USER_AVATAR
4x4balls
Pilgrim

Postby 4x4balls » Fri May 30, 2008 7:55 pm

i forgot to mention that you're gonna wanna open up ALL the windows in your home, or do this on an outdoor grill if possible. It's gonna be smoking like heck, but the end result is well worth it.
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Fri May 30, 2008 9:34 pm

Rock salt? I do use course salt and fresh cracked pepper...

When forced to do steak inside, I do very similar to your technique except that after searing the meat I will finish it in the oven, still in the skillet. Actually produces a pretty decent steak with this method..

James.
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Sat May 31, 2008 12:54 am

Why would I cook a prime steak (if I could affford or find one!) inside? :shock: :? Don't mean to sound grouchy, just confused!
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope
-Tacitus

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulders, and your hand over my mouth!
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sat May 31, 2008 1:13 am

There have been times when I couldn't cook outside due to weather etc. and I desperately wanted a steak! I think it was the very first Good Eats episode w/Alton Brown where he described the procedure I use. It really does turn out a good steak. Similar, but better than you would get at an Outback kind of place.

Granted, I would rather have my steak cooked over glowing mesquite coals, but ya do what ya gotta do at times...

btw: "I" never mentioned prime :wink: , as my budget is usually geared more towards choice cuts...
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Postby ChileFarmer » Sat May 31, 2008 8:52 am

We do steak quite often, I buy whole rib eye and cut my own.
I have never cut anything over an inch thick. We like our steak med.
I season with SuckleBuster steak seasoning let rest until room temp.
Crank up the gaser until about 650 deg. 2 min. to the side is just right for us. CF :D
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
jack2u2 USER_AVATAR
JaCK2U2
Chuck Wagon

Postby JaCK2U2 » Sat May 31, 2008 10:04 am

The rock salt would have to be cracked some, I would think. (?) The procedure he described seems to be what you'd do on a grill, except in a cast iron skillet. Sounds good, except I'd have to go with kosher salt and a choice steak. My budget, alas, does not allow for Prime anything (except for my wife :lol: ).
Jack
Jr. C's BBQ
http://www.jrcsbbqandseasonings.com" target="_blank

Homemade upright drum smoker
Backwoods Party
GSW upright (now deceased)
nice gas grill
Weber 27" grill
Weber rotisserie
4x4balls USER_AVATAR
4x4balls
Pilgrim

Postby 4x4balls » Sat May 31, 2008 2:39 pm

rock salt is the only word i could think of. what i use is Fleur de Sal. It's basically sea salt, not as large as rock salt but a bit larger than kosher salt.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sat May 31, 2008 8:02 pm

4x4 I agree with your procedure except for a couple things do it over coals and leave the dang salt off 'til you serve the steak. You don't have to agree with me just try it. You are correct in plop the meat on the heat and don't screw with it don't poke it punch or press it just let it cook when you turn it just use a spatula or tongs don't ever let the beefsteak gods catch you using a fork.
tarde venientibus ossa....
4x4balls USER_AVATAR
4x4balls
Pilgrim

Postby 4x4balls » Sat May 31, 2008 8:48 pm

the reason the salt is necessary is because combined with the fat and the hot skillet, it helps develop the seared salty peppery crust.
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sat May 31, 2008 9:06 pm

Old Texas Monthly technique which I have used for years and still do on some occasions is to get the proverbial dry cast iron skillet smoking hot and cut off a small chunk of fat from the steak and rub down the skillet w/o using any seasoning most especially salt. Cook at super hot temps 1 min on each side..then reduce the heat to medium and finish it off to your preferred level of doneness flipping a total of 4 times. Take it off the heat then season however you want. Works purty good. Smokes up the kitchen and the warden nags.

bigwheel
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:03 am

bigwheel wrote:Smokes up the kitchen and the warden nags.

bigwheel

But, she likes the steaks!!? :wink:
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:12 pm

Yeppers..she likes the steaks but then she nags if it aint got the hot pink middle. Getting to where I poke each one sideways with the gauge till it hits 150. That takes a lot of the guesswork out of it. Then she finds something else to nag about. If wimmen didnt nag they would explode I heard some smart feller say one time.

bigwheel

Return to “Beef Recipes”