Who’s smoking a turkey on Thursday?

Chicken, turkey and any other yard birds.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

mike243
Wrangler

Re: Who’s smoking a turkey on Thursday?

Postby mike243 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:14 am

Looks great I have a 17lb I will inject with creole butter ,smoke for 2 hours then into a cooking bag and oven to finish, it doesn't take long to get a good smoke on birds imo. crispy skin and moist due to the bag, juices defatted and added to the gravy :cheers:
PB AustinLX, Weber Performer, Weber E310 , 250g trailer pit , 36" cowboy grill, bunch of other ways to burn food.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:12 am

mike243 wrote:Looks great I have a 17lb I will inject with creole butter ,smoke for 2 hours then into a cooking bag and oven to finish, it doesn't take long to get a good smoke on birds imo. crispy skin and moist due to the bag, juices defatted and added to the gravy :cheers:

Sounds great
EdG
Pilgrim

Postby EdG » Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:47 pm

Ugh. I don’t wanna talk about it.
And, stop laughing, ya cruel bastids!!!

Breast was dry, thighs bloody. Temps zooming up and down.
Uncontrollable.

But: the cider brine and glaze I made were stellar. Bird, despite its shortcomings was real tasty.

I held off making gravy until my nephew arrived (2 hrs late.) Gravy was a disaster. My wife messed up her stuffing. Bad texture but I found some wild oyster Mushrooms in the freezer that I’d cut off a tree near here and the flavor was real good.

Hanging with our nephew is always a good day, so I’ll chalk this up as a bad cook/good day, all in all.

Hope you guys had less stress and better results than me!

Cheers, guys
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:29 pm

EdG wrote:Ugh. I don’t wanna talk about it.
And, stop laughing, ya cruel bastids!!!

Breast was dry, thighs bloody. Temps zooming up and down.
Uncontrollable.

But: the cider brine and glaze I made were stellar. Bird, despite its shortcomings was real tasty.

I held off making gravy until my nephew arrived (2 hrs late.) Gravy was a disaster. My wife messed up her stuffing. Bad texture but I found some wild oyster Mushrooms in the freezer that I’d cut off a tree near here and the flavor was real good.

Hanging with our nephew is always a good day, so I’ll chalk this up as a bad cook/good day, all in all.

Hope you guys had less stress and better results than me!

Cheers, guys

Really sorry the bird was a stressful mess but I am glad to hear you got to spend some time with your nephew. Hope you give the Turkey another shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mike243
Wrangler

Postby mike243 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:55 pm

Hate to hear you had issues, Mine turned out great, no thanks to me just the same method I found that works for me, shot a 7pt buck and a doe yesterday morning so it took me about 1 hour to skin and debone the meat and into the fridge, was a close call on getting it all done for a 6 pm feed. Left overs tomorrow :laughing7:
PB AustinLX, Weber Performer, Weber E310 , 250g trailer pit , 36" cowboy grill, bunch of other ways to burn food.

Return to “Poultry Recipes”