Wagyu 10+ a5

Looking for something special but dont see it? Post your request here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

niettemin USER_AVATAR
niettemin
Pilgrim

Wagyu 10+ a5

Postby niettemin » Wed May 08, 2019 2:47 am

Hey guys,

In one month, its my birthday. And for my birthday im going to grill a wagyu 10+ A5 entrecote. This is going to be by far the most expensive piece of meat i ever grilled OR ate.
So im kinda nervous that im going to ruin it. So im here to ask for you help.

What im planning now:
Rub:
Two parts of salt
Three parts black pepper
One part grounded seldery steeds (Harry soo tip)

Then start up on the offset smoker to give it a smoke flavour and to reverse sear on the grill.

What i dont know for sure is the kind of wood or maybe if you guys have some extra black belt tips?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn TA-1012 met Tapatalk
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: Wagyu 10+ a5

Postby woodenvisions » Wed May 08, 2019 5:32 am

Welcome Niette,

This is just MY opinion, so please don't just run with it without hearing multiple suggestions.
I'm assuming this will be a pretty " thick " cut ??

If so, I myself wouldn't try smoking it but I'm confident that others on here would so here are my thoughts if I were to cook this.

The Absolute very Best Steak I've ever had was cooked using a simple mix of Coarse Black Pepper and Course Himalayin Sea Salt, Grapeseed Oil, a SCORCHED HOT EARTH Cast Iron Pan , a few fans on high and every window opened in the house.

Now again, I repeat. .... This is just MY preferred way so use it at your own risk.
That's an $$$$$$ piece of meat, but I'm confident that done correctly it will be delicious.

I let the Steak sit on the counter for a good hour, then Heavily season it.
Then coat both sides with Grapeseed Oil ( because it tends to hold up to high heat better than other oils ). Preheat ur oven to 450 ahead of time.

Don't put oil in the hot cast, just on the steak itself. When its Ludicrous Hot, lay the Steak on the Hot Cast for Exactly 1 minute, then flip ONCE and immediately put the entire cast pan in the Oven for just 3 or 4 minutes but ovens vary <<<<*****

Every one I've done was cooked perfectly to about 140 internal temp with a nice Crust and juicy center.

If your really wanting to add smoke to it, I'm sure others will suggest thier method.

Good luck and Happy Early Birthday !!
fishwater_98 USER_AVATAR
fishwater_98
Pilgrim

Postby fishwater_98 » Wed May 08, 2019 8:26 am

I agree with everything Woodenvisions just said. Cooking it in that process you'll get more flavor of the actual meat, which you're paying a good amount of money for. I have done the light smoke and reverse sear with Strip steaks and tenderloins and it is very very tasty, it will mask some of the fantastic flavor of that Wagyu beef.

But as Wood said, "that's just my opinion", you do you sir.
instagram: me_llamo_blane
niettemin USER_AVATAR
niettemin
Pilgrim

Postby niettemin » Wed May 08, 2019 8:39 am

Maybe you guys are right. It was Just that saw a video that a Japanse cheff was cooking it on charcoal. So i thought well maybe that's something i could do as well.
But... Like you guys said, that would mask some amazing flavours that a wagyu steak could bring.

I guess i could do the first one Just "plain" and when i do this again i could ad some smoke.

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed May 08, 2019 9:58 am

Good Luck with your BD Steak :salut: - - - I do like your Black Pepper ratio in your Rub mix you planned. FWIW, that is one of the very reasons that I used our Sponsor's, Suckle Busters, Campfire Steak Seasoning - - the cracked black pepper simple rules the mixture and I never use anything else on my Steaks. :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Wed May 08, 2019 10:13 am

I personally have had good luck with reverse sear but admittedly never cooked Wagyu.

Best of luck and please post pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Wed May 08, 2019 11:24 am

bsooner75 wrote:I personally have had good luck with reverse sear but admittedly never cooked Wagyu.

We’re too Po to be eat’n them thangs
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Wed May 08, 2019 11:32 am

My experience is the best steak is always cooked over a mature wood or charcoal fire that has been burning long enough not to be too smokey, but still hot enough to register a distinct and audible "sizzle" when you put the steak on the grill. Your rub sounds just fine. Avoid turning the steak too much (ideally, once or twice on each side) unless you have a fire flaring up that would scorch it. But to me, the absolute most critical factor to your success is getting the internal temperature of your meat to the exact point you want it for the level of "doneness" you want.

I have a Thermapen with probe I bought, made in England and not cheap but I absolutely swear by it. A high quality instrument, it has a very slender probe that will not heavily damage the meat, and will give you a highly accurate internal temp reading within 3 seconds. I then use my own internal temperature index (laid out below) to gauge when I want to pull the meat off the fire. Once I pull it, I let it rest on preferably a warm to hot platter for about 5 minutes before I serve. Since I bought the Thermapen, I have never once failed to cook a steak to the doneness requested.

125 degrees Fahrenheit - Cooked Rare - warm reddish center
130 degrees Fahrenheit - Medium Rare - warm pink center
135 degress Fahrenheit - Medium - warm slightly pink center
140 degrees Fahrenheit - Medium Well - very warm inside, little to no pink center
145 degrees Fahrenheit - Well Done - hot throughout, no pick center

Note also that in Texas, there are actually considered to be three levels of cooking a steak: Rare, Medium Rare, and "Ruined"
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Wed May 08, 2019 11:46 am

Rambo wrote:
bsooner75 wrote:I personally have had good luck with reverse sear but admittedly never cooked Wagyu.

We’re too Po to be eat’n them thangs

Truth - LOL

niettemin USER_AVATAR
niettemin
Pilgrim

Postby niettemin » Wed May 08, 2019 11:58 am

Boots wrote:

Note also that in Texas, there are actually considered to be three levels of cooking a steak: Rare, Medium Rare, and "Ruined"

I guess that's the same here in the Netherlands! For me the perfect steak is medium rare.

I Think my english is i letting me down a bit, something about poo and fangs?

niettemin USER_AVATAR
niettemin
Pilgrim

Postby niettemin » Wed May 08, 2019 12:33 pm

Oh wait, when i Read it out loud with An accent i understood

I guess im too poor aswell that's why my kids ain't getting any! Haha

norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Wed May 08, 2019 1:29 pm

You're not the first to run into difficulties with the slang here. Happens to me also. Most of the times it ends up funny.

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed May 08, 2019 3:54 pm

Trust me when I say that we'uns :texas: do our fair share of googling before replying to some of Y'alls comments as well. The good thing is that it's all in fun :tup: :salut: :laughing7: :lol: :D
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sat May 11, 2019 9:26 am

Salt, pepper and a small portion of garlic is good "easy" to make seasoning, the ground celery seeds are a great addition also :chef:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
emradguy USER_AVATAR
emradguy
Wrangler

Postby emradguy » Mon May 13, 2019 10:57 pm

I’ve cooked a fair share of A5 Wagyu ribeye. In fact, a couple of years ago, I split a shipment of it with some buddies. We had two boneless ribeye roasts (one at 5.5kg, the other at 6kg) shipped directly to our local butcher (Pete’s Fine Meats for the local guys in Houston). They cut it into 1 1/2” steaks for us, and lucky me ended up with 1/2 the meat. I highly recommend you strictly keep anything other than salt, pepper and a mild oil (grape seed is great) far from this meat. It’s too darn good and too darn expensive to put anything else on it. It overcooks very easily. It’ll take less time than even the best USDA prime to finish to your desired temp (medium-rare to medium is recommended). You can go as minimal as to cut it into cubes and sear them with a torch, but even better, put it in a screaming hot cast iron skillet, on a very hot grill, or even throw it straight onto red hot coals, and you’ll be giving yourself a real treat! Enjoy brother.
Attachments
276FF71F-E88A-4195-A6C6-C178C5DBEC3F.jpeg
025BF882-D7C1-427C-BA14-53B1654AAB64.jpeg

Return to “Request a Recipe”