Pellet Brisket..

Looking for something special but dont see it? Post your request here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

ivangough
Pilgrim

Pellet Brisket..

Postby ivangough » Tue May 21, 2019 3:11 am

Hey all thanks for having me. First time poster from Down under!

I have bought a GMG Daniel Boone and I'm about to kick off with a Brisket cook. Can anyone shoot me a link to a good tried and tested pellet brisket recipe. I've searched here but cannot find a good "beginners" recipe.

Thanks.
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Re: Pellet Brisket..

Postby egghead » Tue May 21, 2019 5:56 am

I cooked on a GMG once doing a demo. I think you will enjoy it a bunch.

I don’t think the brisket knows that it is on a pellet pooper, Kamado, stick burner, Weber, electric smoker, gasser, or in an oven (OVEN?! - forgive me for I have sinned).

Welcome and good luck with it amigo.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Tue May 21, 2019 6:28 am

The current (or maybe ongoing) debate is if brisket should be cooked low and slow or hot and fast.
I've done both and I'm starting to lean towards hot and fast.
One of the best briskets I've cooked was on a new upright that had a tendency to run hotter than my target temp of 275.
In fact the average cook temp was probably 325/350 and when done the flavor and tenderness were outstanding.
Since that "mistake" I've been aiming at low and slow and so far have not been able to match the one where the temps ran away.
I've got four briskets cooked and sliced in the freezer now (vac bag sealed of course) so it's going to be months before I cook another but next time it's going to be a hot and fast test.
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Tue May 21, 2019 9:58 am

ivangough wrote:Hey all thanks for having me. First time poster from Down under!

I have bought a GMG Daniel Boone and I'm about to kick off with a Brisket cook. Can anyone shoot me a link to a good tried and tested pellet brisket recipe. I've searched here but cannot find a good "beginners" recipe.

Thanks.

Order a bottle of 1836 rub from sucklebusters, if you order it today you should have it before the holiday weekend. Rub that brisket down with that, cook until probe tender, and enjoy. Like EH said, that brisket doesn't know or care what it is being cooked on or in. Give the 1836 a try, I think you will like it.
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Tue May 21, 2019 2:54 pm

Salt and pepper for me, I LIKE the taste of beef.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue May 21, 2019 3:21 pm

GRailsback wrote:Order a bottle of 1836 rub from sucklebusters, if you order it today you should have it before the holiday weekend. Rub that brisket down with that, cook until probe tender, and enjoy. Like EH said, that brisket doesn't know or care what it is being cooked on or in. Give the 1836 a try, I think you will like it.

I agree with G'Rails on the 1836 for any large piece of Beef - - - I'm sure that lots of satisfied customers can verify that also - - BTW, Howdy and Welcome to the Forum. Good Luck with your Brisket and be sure and post up any pics and data when you're finished :tup: :salut: :cheers: :chef: :texas:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Tue May 21, 2019 3:37 pm

Welcome!
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Tue May 21, 2019 4:27 pm

Welcome
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Tue May 21, 2019 8:00 pm

SPOG - 1/2 cup kosher salt, 1/2 cup black pepper, 1 Tbs. garlic powder, 1 Tbs. onion powder. Coat the brisket well, and let it rest for an hour as the cooker comes to temp. Cook at 225 F until probe tender in the thickest part of the flat (usually between 198 F to 204 F). Depending on the size of the brisket, it could take 12-18 hours. I use supplemental smoke with an A-Maze-N smoker. I don't find the pellet pooper gives enough smoke flavor by itself. Have fun.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
ivangough
Pilgrim

Postby ivangough » Tue May 21, 2019 11:45 pm

Probably a "how long's a pice of string" type question but should I be injecting some beef broth/stock first? Also I have some hardcore carnivore salt and black pepper rub which works great on beef, I'll likely start with that..
ivangough
Pilgrim

Postby ivangough » Wed May 22, 2019 7:57 pm

Chasdev wrote:The current (or maybe ongoing) debate is if brisket should be cooked low and slow or hot and fast.
I've done both and I'm starting to lean towards hot and fast.
One of the best briskets I've cooked was on a new upright that had a tendency to run hotter than my target temp of 275.
In fact the average cook temp was probably 325/350 and when done the flavor and tenderness were outstanding.
Since that "mistake" I've been aiming at low and slow and so far have not been able to match the one where the temps ran away.
I've got four briskets cooked and sliced in the freezer now (vac bag sealed of course) so it's going to be months before I cook another but next time it's going to be a hot and fast test.

Sone good advice there. Question though.. You have brisket in the freezer. How do you warm the slices up when you want to eat them? Low oven? Thanks
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Wed May 22, 2019 8:21 pm

Reheating brisket:
IMHO the best way is to seal in a plastic bag (if you froze in vacpak bags.....perfect) then put sealed bag in simmering water in a pot, do not boil simmer is all.
This warms without drying or diluting any of the flavor.
tarde venientibus ossa....
ivangough
Pilgrim

Postby ivangough » Thu May 23, 2019 12:12 am

Yep that's a good plan with the simmering water. FWIW I've just ordered a Foodsaver so we should be good to go after it arrives..

Thanks for all ya posts. Now to cook..
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Thu May 23, 2019 6:56 am

What PT said. Brisket and pulled pork come out just like they were taken off the pit. I don’t do it with ribs though. They don’t seem to come out as well.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Thu May 23, 2019 7:04 am

I just microwave (after thawing) whatever amount of meat I plan on eating.
It's never going to taste as good as fresh off the smoker anyway and I'm hungry dang it!

Return to “Request a Recipe”