Classic Beef Jerky

Looking for something special but dont see it? Post your request here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Re: Classic Beef Jerky

Postby Boots » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:17 am

emradguy wrote:So, I marinated the meat last night (recipe below) and cooked it today, using the dehydration function on my oven (with the door minimally propped open). In short, it came out fantastic!

944D03C7-4BCD-4FB7-95A5-CD11676E384C.jpeg

Yeah, I made a heck of a lot more than this...about 3lbs meat in total. I used flank steak and sliced it across the grain.

Beef Jerky

INGREDIENTS
* 2 pounds flank steak (or eye or round or top round steak)
* 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
* 2 Tb worcestershire sauce
* 2 tsp coarsely-ground black pepper
* 1 tsp liquid smoke
* 1 tsp onion powder
* 1 tsp wasabi powder
* 1 tsp green papaya powder (to tenderize)
* 1 tsp kosher salt
* 1/2 tsp paprika
* 1/2 tsp garlic powder

Slice flank steak into ~3/8” wide strips.
Put all other ingredients in a blender.
Place strips of neat and marinade in a large ziplock and seal. Move it around to distribute seasoning well. Then, place in refrigerator overnight.

Remove from fridge, lay strips evenly on wire racks. Place racks on foil lined cooks sheets (for easier cleanup).

Place racks in oven on dehydration mode at 140°F, for about 8 hours.

You got every powder in there ‘cept gunpowder, and I bet w the wasabi this is more potent. Looks great.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
emradguy USER_AVATAR
emradguy
Wrangler

Postby emradguy » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:59 pm

Lol. That’s great...gunpowder. Love it!

I like how wasabi gives a quick burst of hot, but then quickly fades away. In truth, I think next time through, I’m going to increase that ingredient to give it a bigger kick.

My 12 year old has asked me if he can eat some of this batch every day since I made it!
02ebz06 USER_AVATAR
02ebz06
Cowboy

Postby 02ebz06 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:40 pm

emradguy wrote:Lol. That’s great...gunpowder. Love it!

I like how wasabi gives a quick burst of hot, but then quickly fades away. In truth, I think next time through, I’m going to increase that ingredient to give it a bigger kick.

My 12 year old has asked me if he can eat some of this batch every day since I made it!

I'm curious how you went from looking for a recipe that was "not spicy hot (though black pepper is fine)" to making one with Wasabi powder?
Or were you just looking to expand your jerky recipe library?

Here is a book I have:
Attachments
Jerky Book.jpg
LSG 20x42 Pellet Smoker (on order), CampChef PGXXL pellet smoker, Emozione Pizza Oven, CampChef Griddle
emradguy USER_AVATAR
emradguy
Wrangler

Postby emradguy » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:06 pm

02ebz06 wrote:I'm curious how you went from looking for a recipe that was "not spicy hot (though black pepper is fine)" to making one with Wasabi powder?
Or were you just looking to expand your jerky recipe library?

Here is a book I have:

Well, I was really trying to avoid the lingering heat you get from chili peppers, because my family doesn’t do that kind of spicy. Since wasabi is just horseradish and it hits quick and for a brief moment, I thought it would be ok for them. I actually rub it on prime rib roast when I make that, and they handle it fine.

So, yeah, trying to build the library from an n of 2...though this recent recipe is so far superior than the last one, I’m actually down to one. I might have to pick up a copy of that book. ;)

Return to “Request a Recipe”