Green Bean Casserole Recipe Needed

Looking for something special but dont see it? Post your request here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Green Bean Casserole Recipe Needed

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:53 am

My Grand Daughter asked me if I had a good Green Bean Casserole Recipe and I did not. However, I told her that I would post it on TBBQF and see what the Talented Members might have. So if anyone has a Green Bean Casserole Recipe that they would RECOMMEND, please post it here if you will.

TIA,
OUP
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Re: Green Bean Casserole Recipe Needed

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:18 pm

We just use back-of-the-box type recipes. :dont:
Moink!
OkieGal
Rustler

Postby OkieGal » Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:22 pm

Parts, I just like the plain old Campbells version with mushroom soup and french fried onions, but some people sneer at that.
One year I tried a slightly different version that I found at Aldi's and everyone really enjoyed it. If I have done it correctly, here
is a link to the recipe.

https://www.aldi.us/en/recipes/holiday- ... casserole/
OkieGal
Rustler

Postby OkieGal » Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:23 pm

Sailor Kenshin wrote:We just use back-of-the-box type recipes. :dont:

As in "back of the Fried Onions box" and/or "back of the Campbells soup can" ? That's the version I like! :D
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:11 pm

Thanks, Mam - - and Harlee thanks you also :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:40 pm

OkieGal wrote:

As in "back of the Fried Onions box" and/or "back of the Campbells soup can" ? That's the version I like! :D

Yup. I read the recipe, and it seems interesting, what with bacon, corn, cream cheese, and mayo, and I'd definitely try it....but it's not Thanksgiving.
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:03 am

With my taste buds in the condition that they've become from living and eating in the South, I think that I'd Fry my own Own-Yawns instead of using the canned variety and also use French Own-Yawn Soup instead of Mushyrooms.

It's gonna be interesting how Harlee does with it and I can't wait for a Post-Thanksgiving Update. :rose:

thanks again,
:tup: :salut:
OkieGal
Rustler

Postby OkieGal » Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:03 am

Sailor Kenshin wrote:
OkieGal wrote:

Yup. I read the recipe, and it seems interesting, what with bacon, corn, cream cheese, and mayo, and I'd definitely try it....but it's not Thanksgiving.

LOL I agree. My gang seems to get tired of it, though. So I'll skip it for a year or so, then slip it back on the menu. Then everyone says
"I forgot how good this is". :dont:
OkieGal
Rustler

Postby OkieGal » Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:09 am

OldUsedParts wrote:With my taste buds in the condition that they've become from living and eating in the South, I think that I'd Fry my own Own-Yawns instead of using the canned variety and also use French Own-Yawn Soup instead of Mushyrooms.

It's gonna be interesting how Harlee does with it and I can't wait for a Post-Thanksgiving Update. :rose:

thanks again,
:tup: :salut:

Not surprised - I've noticed that a lot of things I take shortcuts on, you do the "right" way. LOL Maybe I'm just a lil lazy. :lol:
I'm not sure about the French onion soup, tho. :scratch: If you or Harlee try it that way, let us know how it is.
This really is a pretty tasty dish, but like Sailer said, it's not the real thing for Thanksgiving - at least for those of us who are used to our version.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:28 am

:salut:
hj USER_AVATAR
Hj
Bandolero

Postby Hj » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:06 pm

BETTER LATE THAN never on this!

Hj's Original Green Beans Supreme

1 lb. green beans de-stemed washed cut or
   sliced French style - set aside

Using a large skillet or pot fry~
½ to ¾ lbs. bacon cut up* ñ reserve 2 Tbsps.
 of the grease. Remove bacon to paper towels.*

In a large skillet or pot the bacon was fried in add ñ saute with the reserved 2 Tbsps. bacon grease with ~
1 to 2 Tbsps. butter
1 onion yellow small to medium slice or dice
2 to 3 garlic cloves diced fine
1) 8 oz. mushroom pkg. white sliced
  All seasoned with~
salt - pepper - Accent to taste 
Saute about 5 minutes - stir
Add green beans - mix well ñ add
either water or chicken broth - just covering the beans ñ cook till all just tender - not much water or broth will be left.
Add in ñ stir~
¼ lb. Velveeta cheese in cubes to melt
With fresh basil* chopped with alittle more butter - about ¼ c. milk ñ cooked bacon broken up.
STIR WELL-adding fresh basil ñ more seasoning of garlic grandular this time if  needed with salt- pepper -Accent (not much will be needed) to taste.  Stir well ñ simmer about 5 to 7 minutes to consistency you want. NOT TO THICK OR TO THIN.

*Note  can fry bacon whole or cut up or just add raw bacon to the pot ñ cook when adding the beans ..but will have more grease with bacon being raw ~ however it's tastier ñ calories. LOL

*Basil - dried or fresh is best I would use  about 1 tablespoon dried ñ I use fresh rolled up ñ cut about 1palmful of fresh large leaves or to UR taste.

Mushrooms - slice thin - not super thin
I use Smoked Apple bacon

If sauce is too thick add more milk or alittle chicken broth .. if to thin just cook down more.

*Only use Velveeta cheese can - use alittle more than ¼ lb. 

1 lb. gr. beans washed remove stems* slice like French style or just slant cut.  Can use 2) 15 oz. cans ..however..drain well ñ rinse off extra salt the manufacture co. adds to cans.

*Milk is a must at the last part with the cheese but cook the beans ñ mushrooms ñ etc. in chicken broth or ½ tsp. of Better Than Chicken Base mixed with water works well now- instead of water.  Remember this has salt in it ñ might want to hold back on salting anything till the end. 

**Veletta cheese ñ basil are a must in this dish.
Over the years I try to cook easier ñ using easier products like the Roasted Better Than Chicken Base ñ sometimes  using garlic granular. Using one containers to cook all also.  I do this recipe on top of the stove  as not to heat up the house. Using milk - doesn't matter if whole or non fat  ..it just gives it that creamier taste other than water or chicken broth. If U don't have milk - it still tastes great.  I never tried sour cream in place of milk but one day I will ñ NOT a  ¼ cup ..I'd just go slow ñ see how the texture is ñ taste. 

SORRY -  the older I become - the more chatter I am.
This is great to stuff big thick center pork chops ..making chops like a boat.  Brown OR grill chops seasoned WITHOUT THE STUFFING  - having the slit already cut for into the chop for the stuffing. HAVE stuffing already cooked ñ heated to stuff for serving. I do this with chicken also.  Sometimes just adding the stuffing ñ baking it all together in a shallow baking dish.  I make a great green chile mix as a stuffing also.

CAN use asparagus in place green beans.
A mistake is sometimes a great creation
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:57 pm

Hello Hj- glad to see yuPosting

Return to “Request a Recipe”