SuckleBusters Sweet-N-Spicy Gold BBQ Sauce - Test Results

Texas Style BBQ Seasonings, Sauces and Such.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Re: SuckleBusters Sweet-N-Spicy Gold BBQ Sauce - Test Results

Postby Gator » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:36 pm

Thanks - just post up here with your comments unless you feel they need to be private.

Ecto - what was different - just curious.
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:36 pm

Mine was sitting on the table when I got home, had to try a spoon taste. In all honesty I am not a fan of mustard based sauces but figured it was free, what the heck. Have to say I was pleasantly surprised, very very good blend between tangy and sweet. First impression for me and the wife was CHICKEN! sauce, but I'm sure it would work on anything. Gonna do a couple briskets and chickens and a rack o ribs this weekend plus a couple cabrito so will have lots of tasters and report back monday. Good stuff imo.
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some
ecto1 USER_AVATAR
ecto1
Cowboy

Postby ecto1 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:36 pm

Gator wrote:Thanks - just post up here with your comments unless you feel they need to be private.

It was the sweet most mustard sauces don't have it this is going to be awesome on some pulled pork good thing I am cooking a whole hog this weekend.
"Intelligence is something we are born with. BBQ’ing is a skill that must be learned"

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Fat-Ash-BBQ/204098269604777
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:17 am

ecto1 wrote:
Gator wrote:Thanks - just post up here with your comments unless you feel they need to be private.

It was the sweet most mustard sauces don't have it this is going to be awesome on some pulled pork good thing I am cooking a whole hog this weekend.

Yes, I agree. We tasted "award winning mustard sauces" and they seemed like watered down mustard to me. Kinda boring. We wanted ours to POP when it hits you.

Enjoy.
Gator

fshnrob USER_AVATAR
fshnrob
Wrangler

Postby fshnrob » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:20 am

Mine showed up yesterday, and I immediately gave it the finger test. WOW!! Very good blend of sweet and tangy. I would prefer a little more heat on the front side, but I was very impressed with the flavor, and can't wait to try it on some food. I won't get to try it this weekend due to my work schedule, but this gives me time to think of something different. :fish: ????
SWI
Pilgrim

Postby SWI » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:04 pm

Got mine yesterday finger test was good and the wife liked it so we will find out this weekend on some shoulder and bird. I will report back monday. Thanks again Gator
ZACH PITTS
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:52 pm

Try the finger test + BBQed meat.
Did the finger test + used it on meat.

-> Do you like it?
Yes, but I like your original sauce better.
-> Is it the right sweetness?
I thought it was a bit too sweet for my liking, but I think nearly all sauces are too sweet.
-> Does it have the right amount of tanginess?
I didn't find it all that tangy. Flavorful yes, tangy no.
-> Is the heat level right?
It was almost too hot for the Mrs so for the masses I think you have the right heat level.
-> Does it have the right flavor profile?
I was expecting a mustardy Carolina Vinegar sauce. Don't know where I got that idea from. Not that it matters at all. I did like that fact that it was on thin side, meaning not thick like molasses. The mustard flavor was distinct but not overpowering.
-> What meat did you test it on?
First test was a grilled burger. 85% lean burger, Bun, onion, Gold Sauce, provolone cheese. -It was a very good burger.
2nd test was in potato salad. Simple ingredients -potatoes, mayo, Gold Sauce, salt & pepper. Better than a super-market potato salad but need something... ? Overall good.
3rd test was on a grilled pork shoulder steak. After searing both sides of the steak I glazed with Gold Sauce and finished it indirect. Plated with more Gold sauce. Of the three, this was the most successful. I can see how this would work well on ribs.

-> Any suggestions
My bias is more heat and less sweet but most folks don't share outlook with me. :lol:

The color looks a little dull, but I don't know you could lighten it up a little without adding bad stuff or ingredients that will throw off the flavor profile.

Dispite my nit picking here, I do believe you're on the way to yet another award winning sauce. :D
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:14 pm

All feedback is much appreciated.

Yall may want to try adding a little black pepper for more (front) heat. I had it in there, but then removed it for simplicity sake. I can see that it may be going back in....if you do experiment by adding black pepper, please let me know what you think of the results.
Gator

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:04 pm

Gator wrote:All feedback is much appreciated.

Yall may want to try adding a little black pepper for more (front) heat. I had it in there, but then removed it for simplicity sake. I can see that it may be going back in....if you do experiment by adding black pepper, please let me know what you think of the results.

I was thinking a little of adding a pinch of hab. That's the ticket 8)
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:34 pm

Yes, - if the results show to add heat, then I will add more heat fo sho.
Gator

limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Postby limey » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:32 pm

Loved the color of your new sauce,
finger test- bit of sweetness followed by a taste of the spicey mustard, liked it alot.
Made some sauce - mixed with SB honey sauce- put on chicken and ribs, loved it nice color, bit of heat and sweetness.
Everyone loved it on chicken and was even better on ribs. My youngest though said it was too spicy for his rib( He did not try the chicken) but my lab loved it.
Had it with a slice of brisket on side, little overpowering on the beef. Just my taste with beef :dont:
Was better with the chicken and was also good with pork on the side.
I am a big fan of mixing mustard,honey and a thin red bbq sauce- and it makes a wonderful sauce mixed with SB honey.
Little overpowering for the little ones , would be my my only drawback on the sauce.
I have been using Texas Pete Mustard sauce for mixing and dipping and there is no comparison.
Last edited by limey on Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
woody wood USER_AVATAR
Woody Wood
Bandolero

Postby Woody Wood » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:52 am

Used it this weekend and was very happy. I too had to do the finger test and couldnt wait to try it on some chicken Friday night. The results were fantastic and my neighbors kept saying that was my best chicken yet!!! The flavor is a perfect blend of sweet, spicy and tangy. I have been using Texas Gold and this was a lot better. I like the sweetness better in yours!! Get this stuff bottled cause I am gonna need more!!! Thanks Dan
El Rey Smokers
Traeger
Big Green Egg
MeatChurch BBQ
Oakridge BBQ
Backwoods Spirits

3 Woody's BBQ
rcart76 USER_AVATAR
rcart76
Cowboy

Postby rcart76 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:00 am

We used it on chicken and sausage this weekend. Good flavor, I like the sweet, but it needs just a little more heat. Now my mom liked it and said it was perfect as is.
ecto1 USER_AVATAR
ecto1
Cowboy

Postby ecto1 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:00 am

-> Do you like it? Yes I did i really liked it and would buy it for pulled pork

-> Is it the right sweetness? I liked the sweetness found it as a plesent suprise as I stated earlier

-> Does it have the right amount of tanginess? Yes this is the perfect tanginess
s
-> Is the heat level right? For me probably not but for the general public I would say yes

-> Does it have the right flavor profile? this is perfect for pulled meats especially pork and chicken.

-> What meat did you test it on? Pulled pork and pulled chicken

-> Any suggestions? I found the sauce a little runny that is why I think it will work best for pulled meats. I don't now how this sauce would do for people who wanted to use it as a glaze.
"Intelligence is something we are born with. BBQ’ing is a skill that must be learned"

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Fat-Ash-BBQ/204098269604777
s.o.l. bbq USER_AVATAR
S.O.L. BBQ
Rustler

Postby S.O.L. BBQ » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:21 pm

Got it Thursday. Finger tase was great just need a little more hot for me. Cooked for 10 people Sunday done chicken they all liked it and they also liked the finger taste. About half said heat was fine other half said needed more heat. I myself agree with woody wood get this stuff bottled and I will be buying it. Great product but what else do you expect from sucklebusters. If you need any more tasters on any product you can count me in. Dwight

Return to “SuckleBusters - The Forum Sponsor”