Chili question

Anything, everything and all things chili. Cowboys like chili!

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Chili question

Postby Norway Joe » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:10 pm

I got some SB competition style chili packs a few days ago. Was thinking about cooking one on Sunday.

What is acceptable to put in the pot. I'm not so fond of beans so that is out.

What do you put in the pot? Chopped Onions or Carrots?

Is cubed potatoes acceptable?

I'm thinking about a cornbread as side.

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Re: Chili question

Postby GRailsback » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:49 pm

Joe, chili in its purest form is very basic. When you start to add other items, then it becomes something else. But the basics like onions and some dice up bell pepper and add, but not much else. And of course the beans/no beans discussion. I am firmly in camp no beans for Texas style chili.
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:04 pm

Thanks, Greg. I'm aware of the bean/no bean discussion. Not going to start that.

So an authentic chili is like the recipe of the sb chili pack? I'll go for that the first time without any additions.

How lean beef do you use?

rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:25 pm

brown your meat of choice and then drain AND pat dry with paper towels to remove all grease.
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:29 pm

So you don't want any grease or as little as possible in the chili?

rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:31 pm

Joernolav wrote:So you don't want any grease or as little as possible in the chili?

That is correct that's ME, some might like it greasy
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:02 pm

Joe, I use what is called a chili grind here. But you probably don't have access to it over there. It is basically a course cut of ground beef. So 80/20 or 90/10 wouild be fine. And I also drain off the grease after browning the meat.

Some people add the onions raw on top of the bowl of chili, as well as shredded cheese. Some folks also add fritos corn chips, but that is called a frito pie.
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:04 pm

If this Yankee may add, Sharp Shredded Cheddar on top and sprinkle some Slap Yo Mama !
Last edited by woodenvisions on Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:05 pm

By the way, that competion SB chili is really really good. I make a double batch when I do it. And freeze any leftovers. The leftover chili is also just as good as fresh chili.
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:25 pm

Joe, scroll down and look at the post from Egghead. He used green onions in his, that is a classic picture of a bowl of Texas Red. If you make up a pot of that, with some cornbread. Your family will love you. You should never have to shevel snow or do any yard work again.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:28 pm

They have given you some sound advice, Joe, the recipe on the Suckle Busters Pkg is hard to beat. Absolutely no carrots or taters IMHO. The only veggies would be Own-Yawns and Peppers chopped small. Good Luck :tup: :salut: :cheers: :chef:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:42 pm

Joe chili has been made so many different ways, some people put who knows what in it. Until you asked today I never heard of carrots in it...
I grew up on the Texas Mexico border. In Spanish Chile translates to pepper(s) so Chile con carne, translates to peppers with meat. There you have it in its basic form as I grew up with. All the other things people put in it is by their own choice. For me I make chili with peppers meat and maybe some thickening agent such as masa (ground up corn flour) or wheat flour, some salt, garlic, onion, black pepper, red pepper (cayenne) some beef stock or broth and a can of stewed tomatoes. The Suckle busters mix does a good job of blending the peppers together and they get a good flavor. If you find you have too much grease you can chill the chili to harden the grease then remove it, or use a few slices of bread to soak it off the top when it is through cooking. I have been known to cut up a roast or grind up a roast after trimming off the fat, so as to keep it lean. I believe chili originated long ago when all anyone had was the basics to cook with and has evolved to what folks perception of it is as found today. Good luck and let us know how it comes out and a picture as well :cheers:
I believe there really is no wrong way to cook just some people like things cooked different than others.... :whiteflag:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:21 pm

I like it with some thinly crosswise sliced Celery pieces about 1/4" wide. Also some diced green onions but this is from a Northeaster
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:49 pm

This is why this forum is so great. Lots of good info and tips. Thanks.

Since this is the first chili I make I will try to make it as authentic as possible. That means to stick with the basics, I believe.

Pictures coming on Sunday. Today is steak day.

norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:26 am

GRailsback wrote:Joe, scroll down and look at the post from Egghead. He used green onions in his, that is a classic picture of a bowl of Texas Red. If you make up a pot of that, with some cornbread. Your family will love you. You should never have to shevel snow or do any yard work again.
I should have waited with this until after the chili and my wife would have fixed this. Rotten fence after the winter.

Return to “Chili Heads”