Texas Red: puréed Chili’s Or chili powder

Anything, everything and all things chili. Cowboys like chili!

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

TrueTexan
Pilgrim

Texas Red: puréed Chili’s Or chili powder

Postby TrueTexan » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:28 am

I have been making a chili purée for my base of my Texas red for the past 5 years. I made the switch from the dried chili powder I was making. I’m re thinking this only for the fact of trying to improve what I’m doing. I love my chili, but am looking for feedback on what y’all are doing or have learned from your experiences. Thanks in advance.
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Re: Texas Red: puréed Chili’s Or chili powder

Postby GRailsback » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:56 am

I used to make chili adding my own spices and what not. But since the first time I gave the SB competion chili kit a try I haven't used anything different since. It is easy, practical, and makes and real good pot of chili. I keep several kits in the pantry at all times, especially heading into fall, and the winter months. At least I think they are coming.
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:05 pm

I've been making my own puree' for the past several years. Like anything there was some trial and error achieving the balance of flavor and heat. I see the convenience of prepackage seasonings, just prefer the process of creating my own. So when I say, "Here try my chili", well it's really MY chili. :texas:
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:20 pm

I completely understand the process of making your own from scratch ingrediants. And i am sure that the end result is a quality product. But the SB competion chili kit in my opinion is way more than a mere conveniance. It produces, if the simple instructions are followed, a first class pot of chili. Of course you can add anything that you would want to enhance it to your taste. But in its most basic form, it is a very very good pot of chili. At times I wish I had the patients and talent ot make more of that stuff on my own, there are so many products out there these days that finding a good quaity one is much easier today than in past times.
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:58 pm

We have made our own scratch enchilada sauce new Mexican style for years straight from the pods, but recently tried using a quality powder and it turned out extremely well. I think the real key is getting authentic fresh chili powder and then being very patient in developing it into a good sauce. We order ours straight from Hatch New Mexico and the freshness and the quality makes a big difference. A lot of store bought chili powders are actually imported.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:06 pm

I used to brew up "seat of the pants Chili" but have gotten hooked on Suckle Busters Texas Chili Seasoning recently :!: :cheers: https://www.sucklebusters.com/chili-sea ... exas-Style
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:26 pm

We use powder and a recipe from the CASI website. They post the recipes of past Terlingua winners. It would be interesting to thumb through the recipes and see how many winners used the ground vs purée.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Chili Heads”