How to store red chili ?

Anything, everything and all things chili. Cowboys like chili!

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: How to store red chili ?

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:13 pm

Google says the Hatch holds more heat so I think I'll stuff and grill some when they come available next time.
:tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
02ebz06 USER_AVATAR
02ebz06
Cowboy

Postby 02ebz06 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:52 pm

They have Mild, Medium Hot, and Hot.
Don't think they sell Medium.
Was disappointed this year, the Medium Hot I got were more like a medium.
Last edited by 02ebz06 on Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LSG 20x42 Pellet Smoker (on order), CampChef PGXXL pellet smoker, Emozione Pizza Oven, CampChef Griddle
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:00 pm

Don't know what "strain" we'll get here but I can't wait to try some. :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:19 pm

All good info. One note, if you roast or lightly blister on the grill, when you take them in a sealed plastic bag to both cool and slowly self steam, this helps the skin “slip” and detach from the “meat”. Then you remove, slit the pod lengthwise, remove the seeds, and can scrape the meat out with the edge of a spoon.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
02ebz06 USER_AVATAR
02ebz06
Cowboy

Postby 02ebz06 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:14 pm

Boots wrote:All good info. One note, if you roast or lightly blister on the grill, when you take them in a sealed plastic bag to both cool and slowly self steam, this helps the skin “slip” and detach from the “meat”. Then you remove, slit the pod lengthwise, remove the seeds, and can scrape the meat out with the edge of a spoon.

We don't mess with the seeds. Just cut top off, remove skin, and rinse.
The rinse removes 90% of the seeds.
LSG 20x42 Pellet Smoker (on order), CampChef PGXXL pellet smoker, Emozione Pizza Oven, CampChef Griddle
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:44 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Don't know what "strain" we'll get here but I can't wait to try some. :tup:

Most stores in my area offer mild and hot. Did the mild last season. The flavor is great, quick hit of heat and then it’s gone. Went with 25# of hot this year. There is a huge difference in the heat factor. Same taste but a far more lingering heat.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:47 pm

My wife grows thousands every year, we pick and chop the head off and either freeze or dry. She freezes some with seed and without, without is for my Thai curry paste.i make a red,green and a yellow Thai paste. Yellow is for seafood. I also make chilly sauce and make about 10 litres a year. I use about 500 chillies in that, seeds in. It's hot and my kids love it on eggs.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
timothy_w USER_AVATAR
Timothy_W
Pilgrim

Postby Timothy_W » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:57 am

Russ wrote:My wife grows thousands every year, we pick and chop the head off and either freeze or dry. She freezes some with seed and without, without is for my Thai curry paste.i make a red,green and a yellow Thai paste. Yellow is for seafood. I also make chilly sauce and make about 10 litres a year. I use about 500 chillies in that, seeds in. It's hot and my kids love it on eggs.

Russ

I never have too much chili. We make curry, we make tkemali (according to the classic recipe, chili is not added, but I love spicy food). We also make powder from dried pepper. A universal seasoning for any dish for those who like spicy food.

Return to “Chili Heads”