Chili Verde’ time in Texas

Anything, everything and all things chili. Cowboys like chili!

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

GTR
Bandolero

Re: Chili Verde’ time in Texas

Postby GTR » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:51 am

Thank you gentlemen. Looks like we polished off half the pot. Wife even had seconds. Good heat without a punishing lingering torture. Of late I’ve become quite found of using roasted green chilies. Been doing a version of rotel and velvetta with green chilies, garlic and cilantro. That too seems to disappear rather quickly. :texas:
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:29 pm

You don't happen to have a Recipe for Chicken Enchiladas Verde do you :?: :dont: :chef: :chef: :chef:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:38 pm

Let me work on that idea tomorrow. Wife bought 3 packs of legs on sale or I’m getting them cooked ASAP. Enchiladas verde sounds like a plan. I’m thinking straight hatch or poblano. I’ll see what tomorrow brings.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:10 am

That’s pretty, gizzards or no gizzards.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:57 am

GTR wrote: I’m thinking straight hatch or poblano. I’ll see what tomorrow brings.

Let me know what you come up with. I have also used Anahiems when Jalapenos wouldn't work in a dish because of the heat????????????
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:00 pm

Guess what showed up on FB today? After looking it over, it definitely needs your attention and creativity.\
https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=726 ... 3712122588
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:20 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Guess what showed up on FB today? After looking it over, it definitely needs your attention and creativity.\
https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=726 ... 3712122588

That looks like it could be really good. Not a fan of enchilada sauce in a can but can fix that. Also not much if any heat depending on the salsa verde. Got started on sauce for chicken enchiladas today. Will have a verdict on it tomorrow evening.
Ray Wylie Hubbard
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:33 am

GTR wrote: Not a fan of enchilada sauce in a can but can fix that. Also not much if any heat depending on the salsa verde. Got started on sauce for chicken enchiladas today. Will have a verdict on it tomorrow evening.

Exactly my thoughts and reasons for passing this along. Let me know what you come up with and I'll plan a trip to HEB very soon. :tup: :texas:
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:22 am

Ok Parts this would be my attempt at the soup. Neither of us are white meat fans so thighs it would be. There looks to be a total of 6.5 cups of liquid. I'm also not a crock pot cooker so I'd use a regular soup pot.

Meat and Stock:

Thighs 3# +/-
Carrot 3 ea.
Celery 3 stalks
Garlic 4-5 cloves, or chef's choice +/-
Knorr's Chicken Bouillon 3 TBL. ( sounds like a lot but it contains all the salt I'd use )
Bay leaf 3-4

Bring to a boil, add thighs and cook till done.
Remove thighs, cool and chop or shred. Puree and strain stock.

Enchilada Sauce:

Tomatillo 6-7 good sized med.-lg.
Poblano 3 ea.
Jalapeno 3 ea.
Green Onion 1 bunch
Cilantro 1 bunch for this I only use the stems, reserve the leaves for garnish
Mex. Oregano 1 tsp. I don't substitute Italian, Mexican or omit
Cumin 1 tsp.
Coriander 1 tsp.
Black Pepper 1 tsp.

Combine all, boil, puree and strain.

For the boiling liquids I'd go with 2, 24oz. Shiners or Lone Star but water is suitable.

Combine the stock, sauce and meat. Bring to a simmer, melt in cream cheese, mont. jack cheese and heavy cream. Adjust seasoning if needed and enjoy.

This like any recipe is just a working outline. You can increase, decrease, substitute or omit most anything you like or don't like. :texas:
Ray Wylie Hubbard
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:58 am

Thank you, Sir, FWIW, we are a white meat family except for wing meat and back meats so this will definitely go over breast meat and tortillas, probably with a topping of Mont Jack and in the Oven.

Appreciate it, Pal :tup: :salut: :texas:
caz USER_AVATAR
caz
Pilgrim

Postby caz » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:02 pm

this looks goooood!! never made chili verde, gonna have to get on it now.
I drink at the bar like I own it.

Return to “Chili Heads”