Sausage stuffer vs grinder stuffing

Sausage making and curing meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

jerodpb
Bandolero

Sausage stuffer vs grinder stuffing

Postby jerodpb » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:33 pm

Just curious if more people get stuffers rather than stuffing with the grinder

The stuffers look alot nicer as opposed to having to keep stuffing a grinder....gonna find out tomorrow how nice the grinder way is :lol:
Pit Barrel Cooker Fanatic
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Re: Sausage stuffer vs grinder stuffing

Postby ChileFarmer » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:58 pm

I am thinking you will be looking at sausage stuffs soon. CF :D
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
jerodpb
Bandolero

Postby jerodpb » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:02 pm

papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:25 pm

jerodpb wrote:already got one tabbed, maybe :mrgreen:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200425065

That is the one I have and like it.
When it came the black collar was cross threaded and it took a monkey wrench and a gorilla to get it off but we did and it works. If I wasn't so anxious to use it I would have sent it back and got another so I have to be careful when I start the ring on.
tarde venientibus ossa....
jerodpb
Bandolero

Postby jerodpb » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:32 pm

Alrighty, people seem to like that model, I like the no plastic gears over the smaller models......we got 4 deer, minus the backstraps, to stuff into casings last Fri in Feb with some pork

Gonna do just pork tomorrow to get a feel for the foot pedal on the 1/2 horse cabelas :)
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:35 pm

Stuffing with a grinder has a tendency to over-work the meat. I'm getting a stuffer this tax season!
(Insert witty signature here)
jerodpb
Bandolero

Postby jerodpb » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:41 pm

Txdragon wrote:Stuffing with a grinder has a tendency to over-work the meat. I'm getting a stuffer this tax season!

I was curious about that. All the guys my dad helps run thier meat twice ( I'm guessing coarse-fine), then again into the casings. And no complaints with dad or anyone else....and dad is PICKEY!!!!!!
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:36 am

Being a tight wad I built one with these instructions

http://www.instructables.com/id/Sausage ... /?ALLSTEPS
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Postby ChileFarmer » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:46 am

jerodpb wrote:already got one tabbed, maybe :mrgreen:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200425065

Same one I have and it works great, I have had a couple of the tubes split. looking at getting some stainless ones. You will like it. CF :D
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
jerodpb
Bandolero

Postby jerodpb » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:36 pm

First run a success....especially with the foot pedal and the wife stuffing the grinder :mrgreen:

Just did one "tube" of casing for 2 1/2 lbs of links....linked them after stuffing

The rest (5 lbs) breakfast patties....

Did the basic recipe David S. has on that sausage link sticky thingey

If I ever start doing a lot by myself, wouldn't definitely need a stuffer....
sancho
Rustler

Postby sancho » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:49 pm

In my experience, and most especially with bulk meat, stuffing with a grinder is time-consuming, messy, and not at all advantageous. There are only 2 pros to it, as far as I'm concerned. 1, if you're doing a very small amount, somewhere in the neighborhood of less than 2 pounds and there's no reason to dirty up a stuffer since you've already got your grinder dirty and 2, it's a passive hobby you enjoy and you don't want to go out and spend 300 on a grinder, 250 on a stuffer, and 250 on a meat mixer. I get all that. If you're serious about it, I would recommend starting out with a grinder that will last you. A number 12 LEM is good. Get a 5 pound stuffer and start with it. You can use that later for small diameter sausage, while you graduate up to a 15 pounder for larger quantities of links. A 15 pounder makes stuffing bulk sausage so easy and clean you won't believe it. I started off with a Kitchen Aid mixer and stuffer. Looking back, I can't believe I was even able to make it work. I'm by no means anyone to give out advice, but the above scenario is how I got started and with a lot of reading and some good advice from good friends I was able to avoid some of the pitfalls and wasted money. Purpahura from this forum was about a year ahead of me and so I was able to learn from some of his decisions -mostly for the good, and some were the ones you might want a mulligan on. All in all, in my view, it's just about wanting to do it and trying to do it right. Pick up a copy of Rytek Kutas' book _Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing_. Let us know what your decision is and how it's all worked out.
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:30 am

Good write up Sancho :)
I too am trying to break into the sausage making and learn the art of....
I have made several what I consider to be mistakes and purchases, my biggest problem is time, my family and job keep getting in the way of my pursuit of perfect sausage :shock:

For those of you watching, I bought a el cheapie special grinder on ebay for $80 or so new. It has its own internal circuit breaker which keeps tripping for reasons I do not know and cant seem to figure out, so runs for a minute or three and then trips out very annoying trying to grind and or stuff meat, had some success with it though, finally got sick and tired of it and killed the cash cow and bought a number 22 grinder from Weston, it will tenderize meat and grind like no one can believe :roll: will not stuff very well, yes probably spent too much but now have a great grinder....

Can't make sausage with out a scale, back to ebay bought a $20 or so scale works good for weighing pounds of meat and even ounces of some things, but not accurate enough for spices, seems most folks are converting to gram measurements of spices, yep you guessed right now own a very accurate scale to 1/10 of a gram so I can accurately measure spices.

Stuffer, oh yeah almost forgot, been round that block too... since the first purchased grinder above, really is a pain in the lower back side as a stuffer, used the world wide web to search for a stuffer, and came up with a Dakota water powered stuffer.... whole nother story on that one, its great if you want to work outside in the heat and flies (to me most unsanitary and not something I would recommend) this dandy little stuffer is a 10 pound capacity and does a great job. One just hooks up to a garden hose (since my kitchen has no hose bib connection outside comes into play here)and turn on the valves attached to the stuffer and wa-la out squirts the meat, well that's all great until one blows out a casing and gets left and right mixed up trying to turn off the water and mistakenly turns the water on full force..... and out squirts all the meat :angry5: by now you must realize the inevitable..... new stuffer in the cupboard, when time permits must make sausage ...... and try out the new equipment :drunk:

Smoker oh yes must have one of them too.... so far have only had hot smoke capabilities with electric or pellet or stick fuel. Lots of reading on the net in this and other forums about smoking sausage how to build smoke houses, how to cold smoke and the like, else where on this forum is a thread about my new to me redneck smoker, contains my feeble attempt at building a cheapie cold smoker (seems I never learn about that cash cow's slow agonizing death) however the new to me home brew smoker looks and appears to do a good job on cheese so may be I stand a chance at sausage :dont: time will tell cooking for me is a hobby and the benefits are great food after the trial and error part is finally over maybe those of you contemplating sausage making, can "see through" and benefit from my still ongoing journey :happ:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
jerodpb
Bandolero

Postby jerodpb » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:50 pm

my journey has a been little smoother

1. Bought the best grinder I could justify, a 1/2 horse cabela's commercial (their smallest one). It was bought just for grinding but figured a little sausage would not hurt...got a foot pedal to go with it...

2. Will have a gram scale on the way shortly for spices and cure

3. Unless I really amp up the amount to be made at one time, alone, a stuffer won't be needed for quite some time...

Side note: There are quite a few folks back home that make ALOT of sausage, many, many pounds of deer sausage...not a stuffer to be found, just some good grinders, and people who work together well
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:09 pm

sancho wrote:I'm by no means anyone to give out advice.

Oh.. Modesty.. You're the FIRST person I'd come to with any sausage questions here on the boards brutha!!
(Insert witty signature here)
tex_toby USER_AVATAR
tex_toby
Deputy

Postby tex_toby » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:31 am

Stuffing with a grinder will take all of the fun out of sausage making. Invest in a nice stuffer if you plan to make sausage more than once.
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Custom Mobile Stick Burner
Summerset TRL 32" Built-In Grill
Weber Q2200
48" Custom Firepit
Bertello Pizza Oven

I can't always please everybody. I'm not bacon.

Return to “Sausage and Cured Meats”