What amount of time in refrigerator for links

Sausage making and curing meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Bigcountry
Pilgrim

What amount of time in refrigerator for links

Postby Bigcountry » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:59 pm

What's the amount of time for sausage links to be put in the refrigerator for smoking ?
jmcrig USER_AVATAR
jmcrig
Bandolero

Re: What amount of time in refrigerator for links

Postby jmcrig » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:16 pm

Explain what you are trying to do/accomplish please. There are several people on here with alot of sausage experience that are willing to help.
Mark Crigler
Bigcountry
Pilgrim

Postby Bigcountry » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:13 am

I'm making pork and beef sausage and I want to know if I grind and stuff them put them in the refrigerator for smoking, do I have to smoke them the next day or how long can they stay in the refrigerator.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:58 am

You aren't really giving us enough information to help.
If you haven't already you should read through the beginner guide, Dave does a great job of laying out the process.
https://www.bbqdryrubs.com/sausage-maki ... beginners/

Now the reason you refrigerate the stuffed links is to give time for the cure to work and for proteins to bind and of course to keep fresh meat cool.
There is no set time, I have gone (using a cure accelerator) from stuffer to a short dry to the smoker. Or having added cure the links could be in the fridge a few days before smoking.
I would let the links set for a bit after pulling from fridge before smoking so no condensation forms on them if they are dry or just tacky they will smoke fine. Some folks will hang them in the smoker with no or low smoke initially to achieve this.
tarde venientibus ossa....
jmcrig USER_AVATAR
jmcrig
Bandolero

Postby jmcrig » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:58 pm

I agree with what PapaTom said. With that being said, my process is a little different. I will grind, and mix everything, and then refrigerate in a lug atleast overnight. And the actual time is by how complex the mixture is, what I feel is needed for flavors to meld. But minimum of 12 hrs. Then stuff and hang for a couple of hours to allow the links to be dry to the touch. Then it's into the smoker.
Mark Crigler

Return to “Sausage and Cured Meats”