That time of year again!! Venison goodies found here!

Sausage making and curing meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

That time of year again!! Venison goodies found here!

Postby Txdragon » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:50 am

Well.. Bought my very first hunting rifle the other day; 1894 Brazilian Mauser 7.62x39.

20191115_154438.jpg

Took my first deer of the season with it the very next day.
(I'll skip the deer/hunter pose pic)

After most processing was done, I still had sausage and chili meat to get done.. Made some ring sausage..
20191118_080205.jpg

Made some breakfast links..
20191118_080059.jpg

And pan sausage. (Not pictured). Have 3 weeks left in the season and went out yesterday for day 2 and saw nothing. I honestly didn't expect to with fresh blood on the ground. Maybe a couple days.. *shrug* I'm going again tomorrow and Wednesday though. Lol! Gonna try a venison pastrami this time around. I have high Hope's for this one. We'll see!!
(Insert witty signature here)
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Re: That time of year again!! Venison goodies found here!

Postby Rambo » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:13 am

Good job!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:37 am

Looks great, Chef Pal :tup: :salut: :cheers: :chef: - - - ironically, my neighbor friends from down the street brought us a Dry Venison Sausage Link from Bucee's on their way back from Oklahoma yesterday. :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Postby limey » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:57 pm

Congrats and nice job on the sausage. :cheers:
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:33 pm

Yo, T-Chef, what casing did you use for these and where did you find them :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:11 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Yo, T-Chef, what casing did you use for these and where did you find them :salut:

These were collagen casing. Not my favorite, but all I had available.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:13 pm

:salut:
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:13 pm

Thanks all! The breakfast links are now frozen so they can be packaged. Then I've gotta divvy up the chili meat. Ooohhh boy!! Putting some corn out this evening as the site is looking used up. Hopefully my big buck is waiting for me in the morning!
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:11 am

I prefer the all natural caseins regardless of what folks think... so Being your first deer, did you get a case of "buck fever" where your heart races and you start breathing hard.... your hands shake uncontrollable? I have seen several get that response. The meat looks good!! I have heard from several that one needs some fat to go in the sausage, but I dont know about that; I always did a normal cut wrap and freeze. How many points?
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
williep USER_AVATAR
Williep
Outlaw

Postby Williep » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:40 am

Very nice job !!! :cheers: :salut: I use to make my own deer sausage links every year, 60 pork/40 deer. I made myself a smoke house in the back yard out of plywood, 4'x4'x6' tall, man those where some fun time's.
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:40 pm

spacetrucker wrote:I prefer the all natural caseins regardless of what folks think... so Being your first deer, did you get a case of "buck fever" where your heart races and you start breathing hard.... your hands shake uncontrollable? I have seen several get that response. The meat looks good!! I have heard from several that one needs some fat to go in the sausage, but I dont know about that; I always did a normal cut wrap and freeze. How many points?

I've had a very broad range of targets on the business end of a rifle; buck fever doesn't hit me. I actually get a warm feeling, similar to the initial alcohol buzz. This one was a doe, haven't gotten my buck... YET!! As for the sausage, I mixed each batch differently according to its intended use; link, pan, etc.. Cased sausage got 70/30 lean:fat, pan and link was more 60/40. I'm with you on the casings though, I prefer natural. I think I'm gonna break down and order a couple packages since the CLOSEST place to get them is 3 hours away.
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:41 pm

Williep wrote:Very nice job !!! :cheers: :salut: I use to make my own deer sausage links every year, 60 pork/40 deer. I made myself a smoke house in the back yard out of plywood, 4'x4'x6' tall, man those where some fun time's.

Thanks! I keep telling myself I'm gonna build a little smokehouse. Lol!
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:43 pm

And chili for today!! Sooooo good.. Notice the slotted spoon in the first pic..

20191119_152540.jpg

Got a scoop on it and it hangs out. Thick, hearty chili! And NO BEANS IN IT!! :laughing7:

20191119_152551.jpg

I used 90% venison, 10% pork butt. I ground the money muscle for this batch, along with the fat cap off another butt I cut into steaks. I took 2 red bell peppers, 2 poblano peppers, 2 Anaheim peppers, 2 jalapenos, and 2 chipotles and pureed with 2 small onions. About 4 cloves of garlic, 1 small can of tomato paste and 1 can of tomato sauce, 2 cups of homemade beef broth (from shank bones), some smoked paprika, granulated onion and garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt, black pepper, and a tiny bit more heat; cayenne pepper. You'd think this would be too spicy but, it's really not. It has a FAST kick, then it's done. Imagine getting a roundhouse in the tastebuds by Chuck Norris.. Fast heat, done.
This has to be one of the best pots of chili I've ever made!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:12 pm

When I quit Deer Hunting, Bambi Chili and Bambi Backstrap was the two things I missed the most and those pics don't help none. :banghead:
:wav:
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:25 am

Last day of mid-season and it's the one that got away.. It was still just riiiight before daybreak so, low light.. I didn't have enough light to count points but I had a BIG buck in my crosshairs. Problem was he kept moving and I ran out of window to position for a shot. I would have made a noise to catch his attention but I'm pretty sure he would have just bolted. 2 seconds is all I needed and couldn't buy them. Lol! I have 3 more days after Christmas until next year. Hopefully, this fella comes back..

Return to “Sausage and Cured Meats”