Hot Italian Today

Sausage making and curing meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

william o young USER_AVATAR
William O Young
Pilgrim

Hot Italian Today

Postby William O Young » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:18 pm

Playing around with one of my latest hobbies again today .
Made a eight pound batch of hot Italian sausage and they taste awesome. The patties are from cleaning out the bottom of the stuffer and the tube. .

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Hot Italian Today

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:43 pm

From the looks of those, you surely must be Happy with your new Toy :tup: :salut: :cheers: :chef:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:57 pm

Looks like you got that down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Postby Copasspupil » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:11 am

How many times have you done it? What machine did you buy? The sausage looks great. I'm especially fond of the ropes
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
Custom built smoker named Seal Team
Santa Maria Grill names GrumpyD'sBBQ
Weber stainless gas grill when I want to cook a hotdog
William O Young
Pilgrim

Postby William O Young » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:04 pm

Copasspupil wrote:How many times have you done it? What machine did you buy? The sausage looks great. I'm especially fond of the ropes

This is a new hobby for me. First I bought the grinder and stuffer attachment for my old Kitchen Aid mixer.The grinding part far exceeded my expectations but the stuffing part of it was the pits and only stuffed my first ever batch of Bratwurst with it a couple weeks ago. Then I went on line and did a LOT of research on stufferes and bought the one in the above pictures. 4.8 out of 5 reviews is almost as good as it gets. The hot Italian sausage shown above was my second only ever experience with making sausage .That stuffer made it so much easier. The picture shows that I used a C clamp on it but after using it , I realised that was not at all necessary . I had put it on "just in case" I might have had to stop and go out in my shop and get the clamp part way through . I will not need to clamp it next time for that particular type of sausage. The very few in reviews that had to clamp theirs might have been making an entirely different texture and/or size of sausage than I did..
Here is a link to the stuffer I bought .
https://www.amazon.com/Sausage-Stuffer- ... 378&sr=8-1
gregfosterid USER_AVATAR
Gregfosterid
Pilgrim

Postby Gregfosterid » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:54 am

Hello
What do you do with those sausages that you don't cook right away? go to freeze?
William O Young
Pilgrim

Postby William O Young » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:14 am

Gregfosterid wrote:Hello
What do you do with those sausages that you don't cook right away? go to freeze?

There are only two of us here and seeing as those sausages are quite large , one and a half each is plenty for one meal along with veggies. . So I vacuum sealed them in groups of three and then put them all into one large bag for the freezer. Before vacuum sealing them I put them open on trays in the freezer to make then solid enough for vacuum sealing . .If you don't do that and if your sealer has as much vacuum as mine has it will flatten and distort them and make them stick together . DAMHIKT.

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:21 am

Good Technique, and as you mentioined, especially when there's only 2 in La Casa. :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:47 am

:cheers:
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Postby limey » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:55 pm

Mighty fine looking sausages, hope to get the chance to make some venison at the holidays. :salut:
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
William O Young
Pilgrim

Postby William O Young » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:26 pm

limey wrote:Mighty fine looking sausages, hope to get the chance to make some venison at the holidays. :salut:

I must be one of the few that does not care for the taste of venison at all. I am not a hunter but there are lots of hunters in my area that have given me cuts of venison over the years which in turn I gave to someone else . Then I started asking people to please not give me any because after several methods of cooking it , I could not develop a taste for it .
Now maybe if I had been into sausage making back then I could have covered up the taste of it with spices etc.
copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Postby Copasspupil » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:59 pm

Backstrap and venison pepperoni love both of them but for some reason, the pepperoni sticks give me tremendous gas. So the wife doesn’t appreciate the morning Dutch ovens.
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
Custom built smoker named Seal Team
Santa Maria Grill names GrumpyD'sBBQ
Weber stainless gas grill when I want to cook a hotdog
williep USER_AVATAR
Williep
Outlaw

Postby Williep » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:08 am

get-r-done1.jpg

Return to “Sausage and Cured Meats”