Collagen Or Pig Casings ? ?

Sausage making and curing meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

william o young USER_AVATAR
William O Young
Pilgrim

Collagen Or Pig Casings ? ?

Postby William O Young » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:11 pm

I have used pig casings on my first two batches of stuffing. After reading a little about Collagen ones , I am tempted to try them next just because I won't know much about the difference until I actually try it.I do understand already that they make straight , rather than curved sausages .That is not much of a concern to me. Also I think I read somewhere that they don't have to be rinsed inside and out.Do they have to be soaked in water before using ? ?
Would like to hear from some here that use either or both kinds and some pro's and cons about both .
Would like to see a video of someone using the collagen ones .
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Re: Collagen Or Pig Casings ? ?

Postby spacetrucker » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:26 pm

I have never used anything other than natural casings. In spite of the "peanut gallery's" opinions that natural casings are not good to eat, I resort back to man's primal being from the days of old. Collagen may be alright but they are not natural... just my $.02 :D
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:07 pm

Go ahead and try some collagen casings they a are good to go right out of the package so easy.
Of course there are good points and bad for either best is to just try.
Personally I prefer the hog casings especially if I have a grand kid helping me :mrgreen: .
tarde venientibus ossa....
william o young USER_AVATAR
William O Young
Pilgrim

Postby William O Young » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:03 pm

OK , I will try about anything once . :lol:
Do collagen ones have to be soaked before using and if so how are unused portions stored ?
What size would a person order for about the size of bratwurst or slightly larger sausages ? Do they stretch to fit a few different diameter tubes ? I see them advertised in several different mm diameters .
How they compare to pig casing for twisting into links .Do the ends seal just as good ? Why I ask is that I saw someone selling sausages a while back at a craft sale. They were v frozen and very straight so obviously used collagen but they were about a foot long and three or four to a package .I was wondering if they didn't twist them into smaller links for a reason .

EDIT
I have found that there actually are a number of videos on using collagen. It was just a case of entering the right words when doing a search . Didn't realize there were so many types of collagen for so many different purposes
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:13 pm

Natural casings, hands down.
(Insert witty signature here)

Return to “Sausage and Cured Meats”