Drying sausage

Sausage making and curing meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

cubano62
Pilgrim

Drying sausage

Postby cubano62 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:46 pm

I use chicken egg incubators cabinets they have heat and humidity controls, with in a 3 degrees differential, and a plus you have a fan that moves the air around inside the entire cabinet, high speed low speed you can install a dimmer switch to control the fan speed to your licking, the cabinets have 3 trays so instead of eggs you use the trays for your meat, also it makes great beef jerky at mass weights of meat, a normal cabinet goes for around 800 or 900 you can make one of these chicken cabinet for around 300 with the trays.
if you find and old incubator you got it made. also the fan rotates the heat and humidity in the inside of the entire cabinet other cabinets may only control sections not the entire inside of the cabinet.
bigred USER_AVATAR
bigred
Pilgrim

Re: Drying sausage

Postby bigred » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:01 am

I like this idea,
I've been exploring ideas for making my own drying cabinet
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Re: Drying sausage

Postby Papa Tom » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:15 am

A word of caution here when drying sausage.
Be sure you know exactly what you are doing. Shelf stable type sausages are fermented with a lactobacillus starter and dried slowly @ controlled humidity and temperatures.
The risk is if dried too quickly one may dry the exterior too quickly encapsulating moisture in the center that allows spoilage.
tarde venientibus ossa....

Return to “Sausage and Cured Meats”