Smoked Bologna

Sausage making and curing meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Satchme
Pilgrim

Smoked Bologna

Postby Satchme » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:19 pm

I guess good bologna—in natural casing—is a type of sausage. I treat myself to a smoked bologna sandwich about once I month for street smoker. Any tips. I have only tasted a rub once and it had dill in it. I really liked it.

I have not used my Put Boss pellet grill and I’ll going to give it try while I do a brisket and some ribs. Any thoughts on the bologna? I guess it’s hard to mess up. It’s already cooked
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Re: Smoked Bologna

Postby Rambo » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:29 pm

Do a search; I’m pretty sure you’ll find some old threads
copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Postby Copasspupil » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:38 pm

I want to say BSooner and Grailsback both have done it.
Last edited by Copasspupil on Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
Custom built smoker named Seal Team
Santa Maria Grill names GrumpyD'sBBQ
Weber stainless gas grill when I want to cook a hotdog
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:42 am

Satchme wrote:I guess good bologna—in natural casing—is a type of sausage. I treat myself to a smoked bologna sandwich about once I month for street smoker. Any tips. I have only tasted a rub once and it had dill in it. I really liked it.

I have not used my Put Boss pellet grill and I’ll going to give it try while I do a brisket and some ribs. Any thoughts on the bologna? I guess it’s hard to mess up. It’s already cooked

Just make sure to score it. Without some relief cuts it will contort, split and leave it looking bad.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Postby Copasspupil » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:00 am

I grew up on fried bologna and peppers/onions sandwiches. I have not had it in at least 40 years. A little afraid to try it now but I might have to after thinking about smoking one.
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
Custom built smoker named Seal Team
Santa Maria Grill names GrumpyD'sBBQ
Weber stainless gas grill when I want to cook a hotdog
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:17 pm

GTR wrote:
Satchme wrote:I guess good bologna—in natural casing—is a type of sausage. I treat myself to a smoked bologna sandwich about once I month for street smoker. Any tips. I have only tasted a rub once and it had dill in it. I really liked it.

Just make sure to score it. Without some relief cuts it will contort, split and leave it looking bad.

Then take a piece of pvc pipe and core out the middle, and stuff it with your favorite stuffing. Then plug the ends back up and smoke it.

Return to “Sausage and Cured Meats”