Summer sausage : different meats = different tastes.

Sausage making and curing meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rebekahschultz
Pilgrim

Summer sausage : different meats = different tastes.

Postby rebekahschultz » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:38 am

I know many people use venison. Sadly, I'm not a hunter. I'm making summer sausage. My first batch was brisket flat and pork butt. Loved the taste. But brisket flat is too expensive, and I've read alot of brisket fat is not as good as the fat from pork butt, so even whole packer brisket costs alot once fat is gone. My question, do you think something like London broil would give similar taste profile, or be totally different? (I can get London broil BOGO price, often. It's very lean, I use it for my beef jerky all the time, so I'd use even more pork butt fat, driving the cost even lower.

If I try a whole packer brisket, would I grind the HARD fat too?
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Summer sausage : different meats = different tastes.

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:00 am

HOWDY :tup: and WELCOME :salut: to the Forum :texas: - - - I too use London Broil for Jerky but I've never made Summer Sausage, HOWEVER, there are several Members on here that can help you with this so just hang tight and hopefully they'll see your post soon. :chef: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Re: Summer sausage : different meats = different tastes.

Postby Papa Tom » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:43 pm

Yes you can use London Broil, round or other lean cuts for your summer sausage.
You want about 20% fat so trim your pork and weigh the fat and lean before grinding then you can mix them while grinding.

When you have a choice add only pork fat.
tarde venientibus ossa....

Return to “Sausage and Cured Meats”