White Castle Wannabes

Any food other than BBQ or Grilled.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

strength_and_pow
Cowboy

White Castle Wannabes

Postby strength_and_pow » Mon May 11, 2020 9:41 pm

Had a craving for sliders. Wasn’t starving so I took a few process pics. Hopefully someone will find this handy.
The patties:
I used 17oz of ground round although any ground beef will do. I first spray the I side of a gallon ziploc bag with cooking spray and crumple and rub the bag to spread it evenly. This will keep the ground beef from sticking.
Ground beef goes into the bag and I zip all but a small section closed. Laying the bag flat on my counter I work the beef pressing it down so it fills the bag. You want it to be relatively flat. Using a knife I cut the sides of the bag and expose the meat. Using the back of the knife, I press into the beef leaving a score line. I usually score the middle first on both sides then score the halves again giving me 16-1oz square shaped patties. Using the big end of a chop stick I poke and wiggle 5 holes in each patty. I then slide this onto a baking or cookie sheet and put into the freezer.45-60 minutes in the freezer will firm up the meat to the point you can “snap” the patties apart.
Onions: for 2#s of sliders, I used 3 medium onions, 4 would have been better. After peeling the onion I use a mandolin to quickly slice them thin, 1/16” was the setting. You got to work fast or else your eyes really won’t be happy. I then slice and chop the onions into smaller bits. Chop until your eyes are burning and then chop some more. Onions go into a bowl with water.
Buns: I use Kings Hawáin rolls. After I take them out of the pack whole, I slice them down the middle giving me a top and a bottom. I then cut them apart giving me 12 mini buns. 12 buns, 16 patties, at some point the math would even out but I just make a couple of double patty sliders.
Griddle: I have a ghetto griddle that sits over the burners on my stove. It heats uneven and I sometimes set the smoke detector off. Blackstone owners, I am severely jealous of you. Guessing my surface temp is 350-400*.
I give the griddle a healthy spray of Pam and then lay down a nice thick bed of onions. Season the onions then lay your patties on top. Season the patties. Cover with a baking sheet and let it go for 4 minutes. At this point you can add a pickle slice to the pattie then cover the pattie with the top of the bun. Bottoms get layered on top. Cover again with the baking pan and go another 3 minutes or so. The steam will bakes the buns nice and soft. Grab a bun bottom in one hand, use a spatula to take up a patty and it’s underlying bed of onions. Serve and enjoy. These make a great appetizer and hold well in a preheated cooler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
strength_and_pow
Cowboy

White Castle Wannabes

Postby strength_and_pow » Mon May 11, 2020 9:44 pm

Pics to follow

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkImage

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: White Castle Wannabes

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue May 12, 2020 5:33 am

Fastidious Finger Food :wav: :chef: :cheers: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Tue May 12, 2020 7:20 am

My folks are from St Louis and now my mom has moved back into an assisted living facility. Couple must do things when we visit.

Pick up a couple pork steaks to throw on the grill
Pick up a log of braunschweiger
Pick up a sticky cake
Go to Ted Drew’s for some frozen custard
Go down to “The Hill” and have some amazing Italian
Visit White Castle and scarf down some sliders

Your sliders look outstanding and thanks for the pics.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Tue May 12, 2020 7:55 am

Those look great. Really need to give that a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Tue May 12, 2020 9:04 am

Looks delicious. I get hungry again.

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon