I’ve gone totally rogue

Any food other than BBQ or Grilled.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

GTR
Bandolero

I’ve gone totally rogue

Postby GTR » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:36 pm

At the risk of losing my gravlax production license I went total redneck on this batch. :whiteflag: Ditched the dill and brandy and went with jalapeños and Jim Beam. Going to smoke half of it, because this is a BBQ forum. We’ll have a verdict Saturday morning. :texas:
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: I’ve gone totally rogue

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:41 pm

Gravlax and Beef Navel - - - - where you that Bored :?: :whiteflag: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:05 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Gravlax and Beef Navel - - - - where you that Bored :?: :whiteflag: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Started the gravlax Monday. Had told my BIL to pick me up a beef navel a few weeks back. Which I pretty much forgot. He showed up yesterday with it. So whipped up a cure and got it started as well.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:42 pm

Good luck
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:23 am

GTR wrote:
OldUsedParts wrote:Gravlax and Beef Navel - - - - where you that Bored :?: :whiteflag: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Started the gravlax Monday. Had told my BIL to pick me up a beef navel a few weeks back. Which I pretty much forgot. He showed up yesterday with it. So whipped up a cure and got it started as well.

I really wish that I could 'still' muster up that kind of discipline and passion to try more out of the box type smokes and Q's. My envy is beginning to show now. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:51 am

The discipline is a little lacking but the passion is there. I’m a big fan of offal. Some of the stranger things I’ve cooked have been some of the best.
Ray Wylie Hubbard
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:06 am

Looking forward to this. Jalapeños and Jim Beam should work.

I just read an article about cooking salmon. It recommended you grave it for a few hours or more before cooking. It makes the fish much better and you won't get that white substance on it when cooked.

Sent fra min SM-G988B via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:50 pm

Norway Joe wrote:Looking forward to this. Jalapeños and Jim Beam should work.

I just read an article about cooking salmon. It recommended you grave it for a few hours or more before cooking. It makes the fish much better and you won't get that white substance on it when cooked.

I cut the filet in half. Got one half on the smoker now. Just a cold smoke for an hour or so. Air temp is in the mid to upper 50’s, smoker running around 70*.
Ray Wylie Hubbard
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:17 pm

Cold smoked salmon is great. Please post a few pictures when ready.

GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:00 am

Turned out very well. The jalapeño wasn’t too noticeable but the smoked filet had just enough smoke to get your attention. The tail piece was smoked. Didn’t take on much if any color.
6432746B-D6E3-47AB-ADAE-6DC01A9E251F.jpeg

0FBA385B-927C-4380-956A-721969A78094.jpeg
803386A3-FB7E-4FF6-AF1F-8C6C4513DE66.jpeg
Ray Wylie Hubbard
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:58 am

Looks fantastic.

GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:16 pm

Norway Joe wrote:Looks fantastic.

Thanks Joe. Started the curing with a 5# weight for the first 2 days. Then pushed it to 10# the last 2. Texture was much better this go round.
Ray Wylie Hubbard
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:21 pm

Those look great, Pal, :cheers: :chef: is that a bagel they are on :?:
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:46 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Those look great, Pal, :cheers: :chef: is that a bagel they are on :?:

Bagel indeed sir.
Ray Wylie Hubbard

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”