Chicken and sausage sauce piquant "Comfort food"

Any food other than BBQ or Grilled.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

GTR
Bandolero

Re: Chicken and sausage sauce piquant "Comfort food"

Postby GTR » Mon May 24, 2021 8:33 am

Rorschach wrote:Shrimp & sausage or shrimp & chicken in sauce piquant sound great too though!

So I Googled Zummo's sausage as I haven't seen that brand. Now it's my turn to say no H-E-B stores in my area carry something!

If I go to the trouble of ordering sausage through the internet for delivery to my house it'll be from Jacob's in Laplace LA. We won some andouille in some charity raffle through our employer shortly after we moved to that area and nothing I've seen in any supermarket with "andouille" on the label compares. Jacob's uses pecan wood exclusively, we could always smell that bouquet when we were in Laplace.

https://www.cajunsausage.com/

Found this on Zummo’s site. Would think San Antonio would have one of the other stores.
F720E49B-D6D4-4098-882C-7FBF5AD2AD4A.png
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
Rorschach
Wrangler

Postby Rorschach » Mon May 24, 2021 5:11 pm

GTR wrote:
Rorschach wrote:Shrimp & sausage or shrimp & chicken in sauce piquant sound great too though!

So I Googled Zummo's sausage as I haven't seen that brand. Now it's my turn to say no H-E-B stores in my area carry something!

If I go to the trouble of ordering sausage through the internet for delivery to my house it'll be from Jacob's in Laplace LA. We won some andouille in some charity raffle through our employer shortly after we moved to that area and nothing I've seen in any supermarket with "andouille" on the label compares. Jacob's uses pecan wood exclusively, we could always smell that bouquet when we were in Laplace.

https://www.cajunsausage.com/

Found this on Zummo’s site. Would think San Antonio would have one of the other stores.
F720E49B-D6D4-4098-882C-7FBF5AD2AD4A.png

We have HEB, HEB Plus!, and Central Market in San Antonio but I've never seen Zummo's sausages in any. The HEB search tools are pretty store specific. Of course, that list doesn't mean "Our products can be found in every location of these store chains. Just like the HEB Kevin goes to in Beaumont doesn't and won't carry tri tip roasts.

I did a search for Walmart Supercenters, the only hits I get for Zummo's in my area are for boudin, nothing for andouille or even the "old fashioned" vareity Kevin mentioned in his OP this thread.

https://www.walmart.com/grocery/search/ ... mmo%27s%20

Those are really the only true supermarket chains in San Antonio, well Super Target I guess would qualify, unless you step sideways to the Whole Foods, Sprouts, Trader Joe's style establishments. HEB &;WM drove out all the big competition here, same as they did where I grew up in Corpus Christi. No Albertson's, Kroger, IGA, Randall's, Safeway, etc unless we go to Houston. I think there's one Fiesta left on the complete opposite side of town like a 45 minute drive each direction outside peak traffic hours.

We have Sam's Club and Costco for warehouse clubs. My wife & I have been Sam's Club members as long as we've been married. Costco was a latecomer to this area so we've never had a Costco membership. When we lived in Louisiana 2005-2012 there were zero Costco locations in that entire state.

Whereabouts do y'all live GTR?
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Mon May 24, 2021 7:26 pm

I live in Heath Texas 75032, Rockwall County. We have 3 chains, Kroger, Tom Thumb and Aldi. Not sure about TT but Kroger has carried them for years. Got a Costco membership years back when I had to go to Plano to use it. Not sure if any of the “sideways” groceries carry them or not, I don’t shop those stores except Central Market for waygu brisket. I do shop a couple of Mexican Markets, which I know one carries the line.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
Rorschach
Wrangler

Postby Rorschach » Mon May 24, 2021 10:42 pm

Good to know, your profile didn't reveal your location when I clicked on it.

There's a boatload of mini-mercados here some are local chains, with tiendita plus carniceria and fruiteria in one complex, often with a restaurant all owned by the same family. I don't tend to roam through those, somehow I always wind up finding some other way to make my day go by. But if the spot you know of has a connection in San Antonio that stocks something other than Zummo's boudin send me the address or coordinates. I reckon I could find some reasonable substitute for Zummo's Old Fashioned sausage somewhere closer to me than the Beaumont area in any event. Or just order what Jacob's lists as "Smoked Sausage" for delivery to my doorstep. They offer more than andouille.

http://www.cajunsausage.com/products.htm

We lived and worked in Live Oak County for 10 years driving either to San Antonio or Corpus Christi on weekends here & there that struck our fancy, always with an ice chest to combine a HEB or Sam's Club visit along with dinner and a movie, in our youthful dating, then engaged, then newlywed days.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Tue May 25, 2021 3:32 pm

Rorschach wrote:Good to know, your profile didn't reveal your location when I clicked on it.

There's a boatload of mini-mercados here some are local chains, with tiendita plus carniceria and fruiteria in one complex, often with a restaurant all owned by the same family. I don't tend to roam through those, somehow I always wind up finding some other way to make my day go by. But if the spot you know of has a connection in San Antonio that stocks something other than Zummo's boudin send me the address or coordinates. I reckon I could find some reasonable substitute for Zummo's Old Fashioned sausage somewhere closer to me than the Beaumont area in any event. Or just order what Jacob's lists as "Smoked Sausage" for delivery to my doorstep. They offer more than andouille.

http://www.cajunsausage.com/products.htm

We lived and worked in Live Oak County for 10 years driving either to San Antonio or Corpus Christi on weekends here & there that struck our fancy, always with an ice chest to combine a HEB or Sam's Club visit along with dinner and a movie, in our youthful dating, then engaged, then newlywed days.

I wouldn't stress too much over trying Zummo's Old Fashioned brother. It doesn't have much if any smoke flavor but it is what is local so we use it. If I am looking for hard smoked sausage I am headed to Louisiana. :D
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
Rorschach
Wrangler

Postby Rorschach » Tue May 25, 2021 4:31 pm

No sweat, thanks Kevin! Who knows, I might even try making my own smoked sausage some day, if I get a stretch of road clear of the speed bumps my body keeps throwin' at me. I know you know what that's like!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue May 25, 2021 4:33 pm

I was in HEB in Conroe yesterday and they had plenty of ZUMMO's :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Rorschach
Wrangler

Postby Rorschach » Thu May 27, 2021 3:23 am

OldUsedParts wrote:I was in HEB in Conroe yesterday and they had plenty of ZUMMO's :tup:

Y'all are plenty east of me. I'm sure I can use something carried by SA Sam's Club and / or HEB stores, or splurge and order Jacob's delivered to my doorstep. But first to see if the Mrs is interested in giving it a try, maybe with shrimp . . .

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”