Preparing some "Trinity" for Future Creole/Cajun Cooks

Any food other than BBQ or Grilled.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Preparing some "Trinity" for Future Creole/Cajun Cooks

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:37 pm

Picked up some Sweet Peppers, Celery and Sweet Own-yawn yesterday so I could fix a required ingredient (s) for most Creole or Cajun dishes I try and render out. I prefer using the hand chopper (ouch) rather than the Electric one and it will take it's toll on my old hands and wrists but will be worth it. :tup:

"Ended up with 5 heaping cups and now for that pkg of Gator meat in the Freeze" :scratch: :dont: :?: :wav:
IMG_0006.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0007.JPG

IMG_0008.JPG
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
1moreford USER_AVATAR
1MoreFord
Rustler

Re: Preparing some "Trinity" for Future Creole/Cajun Cooks

Postby 1MoreFord » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:04 pm

I'm far too lazy to go to that much trouble.

I just buy the frozen mix below at Kroger. It's in my preferred ratio and reasonable.

https://pictsweetfarms.com/product/seas ... bag/96911/
Joe

Falcon MKV Gas Grill w/Grill Grates, OK Joe Longhorn now gone, CharGriller Akorn, Camp Chef 24SG, and Weber 22" OTG
Rorschach
Wrangler

Postby Rorschach » Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:36 am

Thanks for the recipe showing proportions OldUsedParts! Of course I'm sure those can be adjusted for individual tastes.
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:41 am

Cool! But is that a red pepper? Is that allowed? :lol:
Moink!
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:59 am

Coonass Holy Trinity is green bell pepper, Celery and onion.
The garlic is the pope that blesses it :D
Years ago pre-Harvey I would cook a huge shrimp and crab gumbo for fourth of July at my best friends beach cabin. It was a process and I would prepare all my vegetables the day before and bag them. It sure cut down on time when I got to the cabin.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
rexster314 USER_AVATAR
rexster314
Rustler

Postby rexster314 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:21 pm

I always double up on the onion, because, just because. And I would put the veggies in a vacuum seal bag instead of a baggie to make sure the veggies don't get frostbit
Weber EX6 Smokefire
Masterbuilt 1050 GF
Masterbuilt 560 GF
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
KitchenAid 8 burner 88,000 btu Gasser
Masterbuilt 40" Sportsman Elite gasser
2 MES 40" smokers
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:44 pm

Thanks Gents - - - I must admit that I have been known to stump my toe on the Own-Yawn most of the time. BTW, the recipe is from my very very old Tony Chachere's Cajun Cookbook and the peppers are the small mixed multi-colored sweet peppers. 10-4 on vacum bags but I hope to use these very soon - - - if my Grandaughter finds them the next time she's here then I may end up making some unexpected additional batches sooner that planned. :lol: :laughing7: :dont: :whiteflag:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Rorschach
Wrangler

Postby Rorschach » Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:59 pm

It's interesting to me because my experience with freezing sliced and chopped bell peppers in zipper style bags as a young man were LTD results in terms of texture, so I've never pursued that since. I guess for these uses that's not an issue.

I saw red pepper pieces in the commercial frozen mix package too, as Kevin says not for the purist but I like bright colors when I work with sweet peppers. I use those small multicolor packages of sweet peppers when I make my SBT's - Sub-Atomic Buffalo Turds, no bite like using jalapeños produce. Our friends & neighbors in North Ohio mostly preferred SBT's to ABT's and some started making SBT's themselves.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:21 pm

Anaheim Peppers would work well with THE SBT also, if you didn't mind one SBT equaling the quantity of 2 ABTs :chef: :cheers:
Rorschach
Wrangler

Postby Rorschach » Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:15 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Anaheim Peppers would work well with THE SBT also, if you didn't mind one SBT equaling the quantity of 2 ABTs :chef: :cheers:

Alien BBQ on TSR made something like that, I don't remember the exact peppers used might've been Anaheim or Hatch or ???, he dubbed them "Alien Anal Probes".
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:17 am

I really like the flavor, size and workability of the Anaheims, even tho Hatch are great, they are very Seasonal for some folks like us. AAP :shock: :D

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”