Patties gone wild

Any food other than BBQ or Grilled.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Patties gone wild

Postby Norway Joe » Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:35 am

We often have patties of beef for dinner. At this time of the year we often have patties of beef mixed with some kind of game. Usually moose, reindeer or deer.

Went to the local butcher near the cabin and bought some patties that was made of 50/50 deer and beef. Every butcher has their own recipe. We've had these before so we know they are good. Not anything near the industrial patties you can buy.

Served with mash, mushrooms, lingonberry and a fantastic sauce.

The sauce:

200 grams of finely chopped mushrooms
1 finely chopped onion
2 tbs of butter for frying
5 dl of reindeer stock
5 pieces of junipers
6 dl cream
2 tbsp of black currants jelly
100 grams of brown cheese (can be omitted)
A pinch of salt
A pinch of black pepper

Fry mushrooms and onions in a pan.
Add the stock and let reduce to half.
Add cream, junipers and brown cheese
Simmer for 15 minutes
Add black currants jelly and S&P.

As we say if the hunt ends up empty: it doesn't matter, it's the sauce that's the best anyway.

This a very typical and traditional dish in NorwayImage

Sent fra min SM-G988B via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Patties gone wild

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:55 am

Plate looks Great, Mate - - - nothing better than good gravy (er uh sauce) as a topping for meat and taters. :wav:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:34 am

Looks goood! We had elk once, never deer...OR moose.
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:10 pm

I've eaten and harvested many types of Wild Game and I've never found any that I didn't like.
The taste of deer, elk and pronghorn starts when you pull the trigger until you put it in the freezer.
Lots of great Venison has be ruined by mishandling and rides on the hood of the truck back to the house.

Carbon monoxide and backstrap does not go well together. :banghead: :whiteflag:

Footnote: most of it is very dry unlike beef and pork and things like sausage and ground meat needs to have beef fat added for quality and proper cooking.

Chicken Fried Backstrap with Cream Gravy is hard to beat IMHO :wav: :chef: :cheers: :texas:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:37 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:I've eaten and harvested many types of Wild Game and I've never found any that I didn't like.
The taste of deer, elk and pronghorn starts when you pull the trigger until you put it in the freezer.
Lots of great Venison has be ruined by mishandling and rides on the hood of the truck back to the house.

Carbon monoxide and backstrap does not go well together. :banghead: :whiteflag:

Footnote: most of it is very dry unlike beef and pork and things like sausage and ground meat needs to have beef fat added for quality and proper cooking.

Chicken Fried Backstrap with Cream Gravy is hard to beat IMHO :wav: :chef: :cheers: :texas:
You're correct , Parts.

Most wild game tastes great, but it's usually lean. That's why they mix these patties 50/50 beef and deer. Taste also depends on where they live due to different funeral in the country.

Here in Norway reindeer is considered the best meat you can get and especially the tenderloins. Filets and steaks are very, very tender and needs very little cooking.

Here's a typical reindeer tenderloin dish served here, with root veggies and portwine sauce.

(Not my picture, just an example).

Sent fra min SM-G988B via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”