Cool Food for Cool Weather

Any food other than BBQ or Grilled.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Cool Food for Cool Weather

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:46 am

We've been anxious for some Cooler Weather so we could "really Enjoy" some of Bettye Kelly's "Cabbage Patch Stew". Back in the good old days she would send a huge pot of it with her Husband to the Deer Camp on Opening Weekend. It was so well liked by "ALL" that Charles had to keep it locked in his Truck until time to warm and eat. We also use this Recipe on New Years Day but with Jalapeno Blackeyed Peas so we are covered by the Suthern Superstitions of "must eat Cabbage and Blackeyes for Wealth and Good Luck". :wav:

IMG_0011.JPG

OF COURSE there will be a Cast Iron Skillet of Martha White's Sweet Yeller Cornbread for sopping dat Pot Liquor. :tup: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Cool Food for Cool Weather

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:36 pm

Almost time to bake the Cornbread :tup:
IMG_0012.JPG
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:23 pm

No disappointments today :tup:

IMG_0016.JPG

IMG_0017.JPG

IMG_0019.JPG
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:25 pm

Looks goooood! :salut:

Okay, I know the part about the black-eyed peas, but not the cabbage. Gotta try it.
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:51 am

Sailor Kenshin wrote:Looks goooood! :salut:

Okay, I know the part about the black-eyed peas, but not the cabbage. Gotta try it.

Black-eyed peas and cabbage are traditional fare for New Year’s Day in the South. Cabbage is green like money, so this humble vegetable holds promise for wealth in the New Year. Little beans — yes, black-eyed peas are actually beans — are considered lucky.
1moreford USER_AVATAR
1MoreFord
Rustler

Postby 1MoreFord » Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:39 pm

The tradition varies a bit from place to place.

My dad always insisted on smoked hog jowls with black-eyed peas. I thought about smoked jowls the other day and can't find them anywhere anymore. Same with cracklin's for cornbread. No green required in his home. Some other folks I know just require pork and not jowls. Others I know require something green on the menu and I've had kiwi fruit at their house for the greenery. Different notions. :dont:
Joe

Falcon MKV Gas Grill w/Grill Grates, OK Joe Longhorn now gone, CharGriller Akorn, Camp Chef 24SG, and Weber 22" OTG
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:01 pm

Zactly :tup:

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”