Cacklin Cardiac Veggies

Any food other than BBQ or Grilled.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Cacklin Cardiac Veggies

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Oct 23, 2022 2:13 pm

Well, I tried sumptin new today and the idea came from Red Lobster. We ate there the other day (BARF) and our appetizer was the "only" thing worth swallowing. Matter of fact I took 2 bites of the Flounder and 1 bite of the Broccoli.
HOWEVER, the Appetizer was Fried Green Beans and we really like them, especially the Wife.
Soooooooo, I picked up some fresh green beans and peanut oil the other day and fried a mess for Lunch. Also fried some whole Okra in the Green Bean style along with Hot Air'ing some Cackle Wings and a few Okra also. Even with the Peanut Oil, everything sure was "lubricated well" and my tummy could tell it right away.
IMG_0004.JPG
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Re: Cacklin Cardiac Veggies

Postby TX1911 » Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:20 pm

I sure could go for a plate of those veggies!!
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
The Pocono Ring Shop
Cowboy

Postby The Pocono Ring Shop » Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:21 pm

TX1911 wrote:I sure could go for a plate of those veggies!!
That much fried food would put me in AL Bundys favorite room in the house for a Lonnnggg time, :)
Unfortunately for me, I don't have a Ferguson:):):):)

However, I'd definitely give it a shot, I just can't do the Okra.

Sent from my SM-A135U using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:26 pm

The Batter for the Recipe that I used was equal parts Beer and Flour, seasoned to taste.
Dip, remove with tongs and shake - - - then fry in 375 degree Peanut Oil - - - remove with tongs onto paper towel.

Yo Pocono Pard - - - "you don't like Okra?" :slap: :censor:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
The Pocono Ring Shop
Cowboy

Postby The Pocono Ring Shop » Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:16 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:The Batter for the Recipe that I used was equal parts Beer and Flour, seasoned to taste.
Dip, remove with tongs and shake - - - then fry in 375 degree Peanut Oil - - - remove with tongs onto paper towel.

Yo Pocono Pard - - - "you don't like Okra?" :slap: :censor:
I've tried over and over but can't get past the texture. I tried tho :)

Sent from my SM-A135U using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:02 am

The Pocono Ring Shop wrote:Yo Pocono Pard - - - "you don't like Okra?" :slap: :censor:
I've tried over and over but can't get past the texture. I tried tho :)[/quote]

:laughing7: My oldest Son used to not like Okra but as he grew older, he learned to like it. He used to call boiled Okra, "Cross your legs Okra" because they tend to be slightly slicky. :roll: :shock:
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:48 am

Looks good. Totally agree on the Red Lobster assessment, though. :x
Moink!
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:55 am

great looking plate... from another okra non eater all my life... till 60 plus years of non consumption later at the lubys in Austin and their non menu related item gumbo caught my fancy I believe they put all the leftovers in there so now I am an okra gumbo eater, still have not gotten into the fried yet, next time the wife gets a big plate full gonna try a piece...
funny how things we could not stomach as kids becomes common "fare" later in life. :dont:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:07 am

I agree, S.T. - - and I have found that a lot of people around our area refer to Okra as Gumbo. I'm thinking that it probably from the slick (aka slimy) texture that Okra ?can? have when handled a certain way. Some of us use a product called "file" (fee-lay) to get that texture in our Gumbo. As ol Hank wrote in his Song "Jambalaya, Crawfish Pie and File-Gumbo" it's been around a long time. :tup: Filé powder, also called gumbo filé, is a spicy herb made from the dried and ground leaves of the North American sassafras tree

Found this in Google: Filé powder is used in Louisiana Creole cuisine in the making of some types of gumbo, a thick Creole soup or stew often served over rice.[1] Several different varieties exist. In New Orleans, what is known as Creole gumbo generally varies from house to house though still retaining its Native American origins. The Creoles of Cane River make a gumbo focused much more on filé. [color=#808040]Filé can provide thickening when okra is not in season, in types of gumbo that use okra or a roux as a thickener for gumbo instead of filé [2] Sprinkled sparingly over gumbo as a seasoning and a thickening agent, filé powder adds a distinctive, earthy flavor and texture.[3]

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”