" Black Stoning " our neighbors

Any food other than BBQ or Grilled.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

The Pocono Ring Shop
Cowboy

Re: Re:

Postby The Pocono Ring Shop » Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:56 pm

k.a.m. wrote:Awesome job brother everything looks delicious. :salut: :salut: :salut: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I was just watching a video on Johnny's It looks amazing!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXOZW130yf8
Thanks K.a.m, I've never been to Johnny's when I lived in Jersey but I've been to a ton of other diners in all 4 corners of the state. It's funny, some people get really wound up if you don't ask for it by the " proper " name.

For example, in South Jersey it's mostly called Pork Roll and up in the North Jersey area its called Taylor Ham. Funny thing is they are both technically Pork Roll.

I myself like the Taylor over the Trenton being used in this video. I think in my opinion that the Trenton is more mild. Both actually come from the same place in the states Capital in Trenton.

Either way, if you can get your hands on either, DO IT !

Thanks for the link, I'm gonna have to now make a day trip to this establishment and enjoy a T.H.E.C.S.P.K and a Coffee this winter.
Doesn't get any better than that.

Sent from my SM-A135U using Tapatalk
The Pocono Ring Shop
Cowboy

Postby The Pocono Ring Shop » Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:58 pm

Professor Bunky wrote:All that food looks great! :cheers: :chef:

I'm up for breakfast at any hour. :D
You guys are only about 2.5 hrs away, we'd definitely be up for a visit and breakfast some day.

grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:14 pm

The Pocono Ring Shop wrote:
k.a.m. wrote:Awesome job brother everything looks delicious. :salut: :salut: :salut: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Thanks K.a.m, I've never been to Johnny's when I lived in Jersey but I've been to a ton of other diners in all 4 corners of the state. It's funny, some people get really wound up if you don't ask for it by the " proper " name.

For example, in South Jersey it's mostly called Pork Roll and up in the North Jersey area its called Taylor Ham. Funny thing is they are both technically Pork Roll.

I myself like the Taylor over the Trenton being used in this video. I think in my opinion that the Trenton is more mild. Both actually come from the same place in the states Capital in Trenton.

Thanks for the link, I'm gonna have to now make a day trip to this establishment and enjoy a T.H.E.C.S.P.K and a Coffee this winter.

Woody I watched a little of that video and saw the pork roll “cup up” because it probably didn’t have enough cuts on it. I thought to myself woody may not like that cupping part. I think I have found the Taylor pork roll online at HEB today. Will give it a shot next time I visit one.

Also I’m not sure about the big Kaiser roll woody? Tell me more about that history. I think I would like a croissant better?
The Pocono Ring Shop
Cowboy

Postby The Pocono Ring Shop » Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:34 pm

GRailsback wrote:

Woody I watched a little of that video and saw the pork roll “cup up” because it probably didn’t have enough cuts on it. I thought to myself woody may not like that cupping part. I think I have found the Taylor pork roll online at HEB today. Will give it a shot next time I visit one.

Also I’m not sure about the big Kaiser roll woody? Tell me more about that history. I think I would like a croissant better?
Lol, I saw the Pork Roll go down and I didn't see any cuts at all but they must have made some small ones because we saw them when cooking. I just have a habit of long cuts I suppose but either way it looked excellent and I'm Definitely making a trip to Red Bank pretty soon.
As for the Kaiser, I'm not really sure about the history but I do know that the Kaiser is almost always the only way you will find this breakfast sammich in Jersey. A croissant would work but I don't think it has enough " structure " for that sammich. I myself think Brioche Rolls are some of the best rolls to eat but for these sammiches, I really would be hard pressed to use something other than a Kaiser. Are Kaisers not common near you or is it that you aren't crazy about them ?

If you can get some Taylor or Trenton, that's great news. Hope you love it.

grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Re:

Postby GRailsback » Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:07 pm

The cuts were made at the beginning of the video when they cut the wrapper off. They just went deep cutting the wrap on 2 sides.

We can get kaisers here, and can get them fresh. It’s just a bigger bun is all. I don’t mind if my meat hangs out over the sides.

Woody, I am only going to buy the Taylor. Your word is prophet to me when it comes to cooking.

Do you add the potato’s and peppers to yours?
The Pocono Ring Shop
Cowboy

Postby The Pocono Ring Shop » Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:41 pm

GRailsback wrote:The cuts were made at the beginning of the video when they cut the wrapper off. They just went deep cutting the wrap on 2 sides.

We can get kaisers here, and can get them fresh. It’s just a bigger bun is all. I don’t mind if my meat hangs out over the sides.

Woody, I am only going to buy the Taylor. Your word is prophet to me when it comes to cooking.

Oh, I didn't realize that as I missed a few seconds up front. I think the fullness and the texture of the Kaiser makes it for me but definitely open to experiment with other rolls. As for the Taylor, I'm no expert, just my opinion.
I do know others that like the Trenton because it isn't as salty or smokey but I like salt more than I should so it think I'm partial to it .

As for the potatoes and peppers, I'm only using them on an Italian Hot Dog, Jimmy Buffs style with a Pizza Pita Bread instead of a roll. If you're interested in hearing about that, let me know. That is another Jersey staple that is to die for.

Sorry, I got sidetracked .

For me, I just do the T.H.E.C.S.P.K and keep it original.

I'll send a link on here in the next reply for the Jimmy Buff masterpiece.
I think most forum members will love it but it's right up you, Emmett and. K.a.ms alley I think.

Last edited by The Pocono Ring Shop on Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Pocono Ring Shop
Cowboy

Re: " Black Stoning " our neighbors

Postby The Pocono Ring Shop » Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:00 pm

Here is the Jimmy Buffs Italian Hot Dog link.

***DISCLAIMER***

Deep Fried EVERYTHING

https://youtu.be/6NlqLiTZOwM

bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Re:

Postby bowhnter » Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:12 pm

Heck yeah, Troy! Breakfast is good anytime.
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:40 pm

GRailsback wrote:The cuts were made at the beginning of the video when they cut the wrapper off. They just went deep cutting the wrap on 2 sides.

Oh, I didn't realize that as I missed a few seconds up front. I think the fullness and the texture of the Kaiser makes it for me but definitely open to experiment with other rolls. As for the Taylor, I'm no expert, just my opinion.
I do know others that like the Trenton because it isn't as salty or smokey but I like salt more than I should so it think I'm partial to it .

As for the potatoes and peppers, I'm only using them on an Italian Hot Dog, Jimmy Buffs style with a Pizza Pita Bread instead of a roll. If you're interested in hearing about that, let me know. That is another Jersey staple that is to die for.

Sorry, I got sidetracked .

For me, I just do the T.H.E.C.S.P.K and keep it original.

I'll send a link on here in the next reply for the Jimmy Buff masterpiece.
I think most forum members will love it but it's right up you, Emmett and. K.a.ms alley I think.

I’m interested, you cook well my friend.

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”