Any food other than BBQ or Grilled.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Superstition Stew

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:05 am

"What are Ya Cooking New Years?"
Weeeellllll, I/We always cook Cabbage and Blackeyed Peas to honor a Southern Superstition and I've had it all my Life.

With all variations, black eyed peas are served for good luck and good health. Cooked with cabbage, THE black-eyed peas are for peace, and cabbage represent money in the coming year

We call it "CABBAGE PATCH STEW" and it is a Winner

More Later
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Re: Superstition Stew

Postby bowhnter » Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:47 am

My wife picked up some black eyed peas and collard greens.

Look forward to seeing the cabbage patch stew come to life.
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:08 am

We’re doing the same. I have a small ham I’m going to do in the oven and Brookshire Brothers has some Fresh Black Eyes advertised I’m going to look at. If I don’t like the way they look I’ll get a package of dry peas. Boiled cabbage and cornbread. I’m sure Sherry will do a Pie or cake and we’ll take it all down to her Parents who are 93 and 92 . FYI- I helped my 93 year old FIL butcher a Hog yesterday morning; he’s grinding it this morning for Pan Sausage
The Pocono Ring Shop
Cowboy

Postby The Pocono Ring Shop » Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:10 am

OldUsedParts wrote:"What are Ya Cooking New Years?"
Weeeellllll, I/We always cook Cabbage and Blackeyed Peas to honor a Southern Superstition and I've had it all my Life.

With all variations, black eyed peas are served for good luck and good health. Cooked with cabbage, THE black-eyed peas are for peace, and cabbage represent money in the coming year

We call it "CABBAGE PATCH STEW" and it is a Winner

More Later
Emm, that sounds delicious !

So, here is what I really think, and this may confuse some of you but I'm gonna throw it out there and make everyone think about this

Emm...., I Got A Feeling this is gonna be a Boom Boom Pow, so Don't Phunk With My Heart because I Just Can't Get Enough. Seriously tho, Where Is The Love ? Don't Lie, What did you do with My Humps ??

No, I'm NOT on drugs.... , ask Fergie and she'll confirm The Time....

Sent from my SM-A135U using Tapatalk
Last edited by The Pocono Ring Shop on Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Pocono Ring Shop
Cowboy

Postby The Pocono Ring Shop » Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:10 am

bowhnter wrote:My wife picked up some black eyed peas and collard greens.

Look forward to seeing the cabbage patch stew come to life.
Nice !!, she's a Keeper

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:25 am

Actually I would prefer Collards, but Sherry doesn't like them and ?if? I broke Tradition, my Mom might even come down from above and grab me by the ear. :oops: :shock: :dont: :whiteflag:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:27 am

The Pocono Ring Shop wrote:More Later
Emm, that sounds delicious !

So, here is what I really think, and this may confuse a lot of you but I'm gonna throw it out there and make everyone think about this

Emm...., I Got A Feeling this is gonna be a Boom Boom Pow, so Don't Phunk With My Heart because I Just Can't Get Enough. Seriously tho, Where Is The Love ? Don't Lie, What did you do with My Humps ??

No, I'm NOT on drugs.... , ask Fergie and she'll confirm The Time... [/quote]

BINGO - - - you DO have me ??? THINKING??? :dont: :scratch: :roll:
The Pocono Ring Shop
Cowboy

Postby The Pocono Ring Shop » Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:30 am

OldUsedParts wrote:Actually I would prefer Collards, but Sherry doesn't like them and ?if? I broke Tradition, my Mom might even come down from above and grab me by the ear. :oops: :shock: :dont: :whiteflag:
" Dissin " one Momma will get you in hot water, but......." Dissin " 2 Mommas will ..............well........., I don't want to even think about that

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:36 am

Even tho I won't make ours until Sunday Morning, I'm fixin a Pot for my Youngest Son and his Wife kinda as an additional BD present for him. He was born on New Years Eve so we'll be running up to their house Saturday morning with this and a lot of other stuff kinda as a surprise. I've also got some Antique/Heirloom things that I'm taking him.

Sherry did a "taste test" on this and I need to hurry and get it in the freezer before she turns it into a "snack" LOL :whiteflag: :whiteflag:
IMG_0829.jpg
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:00 am

Smothered pork roast, black eyed peas, and cabbage.
I am not stuffing the roast as Debbie prefers just the roast she really isn't into my Coonass heritage on some things lol
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:06 am

k.a.m. wrote:Smothered pork roast, black eyed peas, and cabbage.
I am not stuffing the roast as Debbie prefers just the roast she really isn't into my Coonass heritage on some things lol

:laughing7:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:47 am

:laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :tup: :salut: :salut: I have a C.A. Podnah over near Baton Rouge that met his Wife of many years in Maryland and brought her home with him. Oooo the stories they can tell. :cheers:
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:06 am

OldUsedParts wrote:

:laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :tup: :salut: :salut: I have a C.A. Podnah over near Baton Rouge that met his Wife of many years in Maryland and brought her home with him. Oooo the stories they can tell. :cheers:

LOL Debbie is from Wisconsin. We do make a pair lol.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:20 am

I'll bet - there's nothing like having the "best of both worlds" - - - I truly believe that some of the best Recipes have come from 'unions' like that. Lesley over in Baton Rouge can lay down some of the BEST "Red Beans and Rice" I've ever had.
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:34 pm

:mrgreen: :lol:
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”