BBQ USA Michael Symon

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

BBQ USA Michael Symon

Postby Rambo » Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:39 am

How many of you have tuned in to this new show on the Food Network? I’ve never done competition cooking but based on what I’m observing on this program it is a Non Profit venture. With the camper trailers, entry fees, cost of meat, spices, etc necessary to prepare there’s no way they’re coming out. I like the program however; I wish they could show more in the way of trimming, injecting, etc
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Re: BBQ USA Michael Symon

Postby GRailsback » Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:47 pm

I haven't seen it. But i am pretty sure, or at least in my case, that competition cooking digs into your wallet each and every time.
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:01 pm

I’ve thought the same thing. When the teams are cooking 3-4 briskets, 7-8# of chicken, 5-6 racks of ribs and then 3-4 butts. The prize money just doesn’t add up. We haven’t even added gas, fuel, lodging and beer.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:54 am

While I haven't watched the show I know of it.
I know several of the teams highlighted personally and I can tell you for a fact they are not non-profit in fact two of my friends own their own spice company. Currently in the competition world depending on distance traveled and entry fees teams are paying upwards to 1000.00 to 1500.00 and event. Between meat prices and fuel it is an expensive hobby and one that we pretty much no longer participate in. My wife and I still judge events but that is about it. I know my friends target certain events like these to market their products.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:17 am

I could see businesses competing as a form of advertising. In which case, if the business is set up right, these comps could be used as a business expense. For most anyone else the allure would have to be just wanting to be involved.

I have watched the show. It moves a little slow at times but going from event to event and following different teams each week helps keep it fresh each week. I’ve watched all the other Kingsford sponsored shows as well. Liked them well enough yet it does get tiresome seeing the same 3-4 teams show after show.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:25 am

GTR wrote:I could see businesses competing as a form of advertising. In which case, if the business is set up right, these comps could be used as a business expense. For most anyone else the allure would have to be just wanting to be involved.

I would imagine most of the teams competing that have businesses write it off as expense. But for the average joe the days of going to a comp for 300.00 to 500.00 is all but extinct. We have seen a significant drop in team participation over the last 12 months. We held a double header in Trinity Texas over the 4th of July weekend that paid 20K each day. The team count was at 45 for each day. In the past that event would probably have bolstered over 100 a day.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:30 am

After finishing my last post I thought I’d check the show for tonight. Tonight he’ll be visiting Myron Mixon and Melissa Cookston. So much for fresh faces. :dont:
Ray Wylie Hubbard
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:52 pm

GTR wrote:After finishing my last post I thought I’d check the show for tonight. Tonight he’ll be visiting Myron Mixon and Melissa Cookston. So much for fresh faces. :dont:

My opinion; Myron is rude and crude. I have more thoughts but cannot Post them
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:53 pm

And, I’m a Redneck
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:00 pm

Myron and humility aren’t generally used in the same sentence. Sure he’s one of the all time best. You can be assured he’ll let anyone listening know it too.
Ray Wylie Hubbard
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:08 pm

I’ll be curious to see this episode; thanks for the head’s up
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:32 pm

Well, I’ll have to eat my words. He was actually very cordial in this episode.
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:11 pm

Rambo wrote:Well, I’ll have to eat my words. He was actually very cordial in this episode.

At the awards he turned his back to the camera and said something to Michael. I would suspect he wasn’t so cordial right then. I’ve heard him too many times question the intelligence of the judges. As you might imagine forum rules forbid me from a direct quote.
Ray Wylie Hubbard
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:22 pm

GTR wrote:
Rambo wrote:Well, I’ll have to eat my words. He was actually very cordial in this episode.

At the awards he turned his back to the camera and said something to Michael. I would suspect he wasn’t so cordial right then. I’ve heard him too many times question the intelligence of the judges. As you might imagine forum rules forbid me from a direct quote.

Good info
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:23 pm

I do enjoy the show; it’s better than many on the major networks in my opinion

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”