American Royal

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

sharkchum USER_AVATAR
Sharkchum
Pilgrim

American Royal

Postby Sharkchum » Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:51 pm

I haven't been on here for a while, but I thought this was something worth sharing with my BBQ brothers. I couple months ago we won another grand championship, but this one got us a invitation to the American Royal World Championship BBQ Cook-Off in Kansas City. We have gotten invitations several times in the past, but being from Texas, we never bothered. We'll this time we decided we were gonna do it. After months of planning and a lot of driving, High Pressure Cookers are here to compete with the best in the world. This is a humbling experience to say the least. So far all we've done is get set up, but I will try to post updates as things progress. Wish me luck, I'm gonna need it.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Last edited by Sharkchum on Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
sharkchum USER_AVATAR
Sharkchum
Pilgrim

Re: American Royal

Postby Sharkchum » Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:55 pm

Here's a few pictures so far. Any pit master worth their smoke has passed through this tunnel before. ImageImageImageImageImageImage

sharkchum USER_AVATAR
Sharkchum
Pilgrim

Postby Sharkchum » Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:57 pm

We bought some shirts here. They put every team out here into the logo, and we were lucky enough to be placed dead center. ImageImage

sharkchum USER_AVATAR
Sharkchum
Pilgrim

Postby Sharkchum » Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:03 am

Here's the cook schedule, it's gonna be a busy weekend to say the least. Image

sharkchum USER_AVATAR
Sharkchum
Pilgrim

Postby Sharkchum » Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:20 am

We're not just competing for us, we want to bring the win home to Texas. If we don't win, we hope one of our other great Texas teams does. It funny that after driving over 800 miles, we still know a bunch of the teams here because we compete against them all the time back home. Great cooks, everyone one of them and we wish them the best of luck. We even got new shirts and hats just for the occasion. We'll, it's after midnight, and I have to be back out there at 6am, so I will be back tomorrow. ImageImageImageImageImage

rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:52 am

Wow; congratulations . Wishing you the best by quite an accomplishment just being invited. Good Luck and Enjoy the experience
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:26 am

Thanks for the Update - - - Good Luck :tup: :wav: :chef: :cheers: :salut: :texas:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
sharkchum USER_AVATAR
Sharkchum
Pilgrim

Postby Sharkchum » Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:39 am

Just got done with meat inspection , so the work is about to start. We brought our new custom pit up here. It's 24' with a Myron Mixon Vulcan vault, a Pitmaker Sniper, and a 48" Pitmaker grill . It also has a sink with hot water heater, stainless tables and storage all around, a 18 speaker stereo system with 3 amps that cost more then all the pits combined. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

sharkchum USER_AVATAR
Sharkchum
Pilgrim

Postby Sharkchum » Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:50 am

While the big pit is cool, it's really nothing more then eye candy. We actually cook all our competition meat on our drums. We hear people all time saying that if they had a expensive pit like ours, then they would be able to win also. Nothing could be farther from the truth. I tell people all the time that it's the Indian, not the arrow. I've been beaten by people cooking on Old Smokeys and Webber kettles. The truth is if you have dedication and the desire to win, you can achieve anything, regardless of what you cook on.ImageImageImage

sharkchum USER_AVATAR
Sharkchum
Pilgrim

Postby Sharkchum » Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:52 am

I'm getting everything ready to start trimming my chicken, so I'll add some updates when that's finished. Image

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:05 am

AWESOME - - - - "The Eyes of TexanS are upon YOU" :salut: :texas: :texas: :texas: :chef: :chef: :chef:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
trooz USER_AVATAR
Trooz
Wrangler

Postby Trooz » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:28 am

Best of luck to you.
sharkchum USER_AVATAR
Sharkchum
Pilgrim

Postby Sharkchum » Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:27 pm

I had to take a break. It's a lot of work turning a whole chicken thigh into a perfect little chicken pillow. Thinning out the skin is the hardest part. I brought 100 thighs to get enough to have 6 on Saturday and 6 on Sunday, I've only done about 40 so far. ImageImageImageImage

sharkchum USER_AVATAR
Sharkchum
Pilgrim

Postby Sharkchum » Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:08 pm

I got 2 pans ready to go for the invitational tomorrow. It's injected, seasoned, and ready to go on the pit. When I'm done cooking tomorrow I have to make 2 more pans for the open on Sunday. Image

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:52 pm

:tup: :salut: :texas:

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”