FIREBOX SHAPE......SQUARE OR ROUND?

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

flexster
Pilgrim

FIREBOX SHAPE......SQUARE OR ROUND?

Postby flexster » Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:24 pm

I READ ON ANOTHER FORUM ABOUT WHAT SHAPE FIREBOX WAS BEST. I HAVE A LSG WITH A SQUARE FIREBOX AND THE SMOKER WORKS JUST GREAT. IT'S VERY EASY TO CLEAN THE ASHES OUT AFTER EACH COOK AND I LIKE A SQUARE FIRE BOX FOR THIS PURPOSE. MY QUESTION IS ONE BETTER THAN THE OTHER. THANK YOU AND I LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR COMMENTS.
lubbockguy1979
Wrangler

Re: FIREBOX SHAPE......SQUARE OR ROUND?

Postby lubbockguy1979 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:27 am

I began building mine oversized with an idea that you can always provide a smaller fire, also with the idea i could elevate the fire and remove ash with out majorly disturbing the fire. For me the box was just easier to fabricate. I need to build some motivation to finally finish this pig. 4.99lb brisket aint helping

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:39 pm

I’m sure a much more knowledgeable member will comment but myself, I don’t really see any difference. My OKJ horizontal has a round box and my NB cabinet has a square box. Like was said the square box is easier to clean. I think the manufacturers use materials on hand to streamline the operation. As long as the size calculations are right both will preform well.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:40 pm

I'm thinking that the way they breath is all that counts. :dont: :scratch: :roll:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:39 pm

Either works fine in my opinion if the cooker is built well and balanced for optimal draw. I do prefer a square though as it allows for various configurations as far as height, width and length. A round firebox can be challenging when dealing with intakes and coal grates.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”